Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinions Sought 1901-O Dime

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 602Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3406 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  09:01 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was looking at eBay last night and among all of
the less-than-appealing examples being offered I found
this dime. I keep coming back to it. It has 'the look'
that I like. What do you think?

Brother, can you spare a "BARBER" dime?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48921 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly shows the details of an uncirculated coin, but I wonder about the luster.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34290 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO,over all looks ok. I don't much care for the area at 7-8 k on the obverse and 10-11 and 3-4 on the reverse rims.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3406 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The same seller is offering the following as "choice" for over $300. The strike is typical for a New Orleans coin.
I would be very happy if the example I posted was a solid XF.
The price is very attractive. And the strike is outstanding for a New Orleans coin.
The rims are not a big concern for me but the luster is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8884 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58 or MS62. either way the original surfaces look to flat for a coin with minimal if any wear. this leads me to believe it was dipped right to edge of grading straight. the other possibility is the lighting could be masking it. imo this is one you need in hand to see the surfaces
Pillar of the Community
United States
3406 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
panzaldi, your analysis makes a lot of sense.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13631 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it too except for what looks like a staple scratch above the O in one on reverse . I'm seeing what John1 is saying about the rims . Hard to detect any wear on this coin but my call is AU-58 .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
3284 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking "staple scratch" is more likely a die clash imprint...very nice coin. How are the sellers other photos? Do they show off the luster on other coins?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3406 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Other seller pictures (luster judgement:)

Pillar of the Community
United States
3406 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bidding stands at $26 with two days seven hours to go.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7988 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes it's nice to know what we're discussing.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
04/07/2020 2:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
512 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58 details dipped and scratches on reverse above O in ONE, obverse scratches on neck and in front of face.
Tim Hughes
Pillar of the Community
United States
2071 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
scratches on reverse above O in ONE

That looks like a die clash on the reverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3406 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am red/green color blind so all of the suggestions concerning altering color make me dizzy.
Dipping I understand. Scratches I understand. Die clash intrigues me.
Thank you all for the feedback.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4914 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Had a feeling it was mbarrcoins. Sells a lot of sketchy grade coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3406 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CoinHuntingDrew, thanks for that info!
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 602Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05