Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1876-P Seated Half Dollar With "C" In Neck But Doesn't Look Like A Proof?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 340Next Topic  
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  3:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Shenandoah1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is an 1876-P Seated Liberty half dollar variety that shows the upper serif and loop of a "C" in Liberty's neck. I posted a couple of close-ups of the neck, along with a photo from a book that shows this specific variety. There's virtually no question that it is the "C" in neck variety, as the photos are virtually identical and both "C"s are located in the same spot on the neck.

The problem is that the variety is supposed to be exclusive to 1876 proofs -- but this coin is graded "Genuine Cleaned AU Detail" from PCGS (as most of you know, PCGS will note "Proof" on the holder, even on detail graded coins.)

One explanation: PCGS is somewhat notorious for missing proofs during the grading process. I have several Morgan dollars I've cherry-picked over the years that were graded "MS ..." by PCGS, but that appeared on close inspection to be proofs. And sure enough, when I sent them to PCGS to be re-graded, all but one came back as "PR ..."

But this coin also doesn't have that classic "proof" look -- even when accounting for all the wear and chatter. I admit, though, that distinguishing between business and proof strikes can be difficult, depending on the series, when there is even a modest amount of wear and/or chatter. Also, I should point out that I am definitely NOT an expert -- or anything close -- when it comes to Seated halves.

SO ... my question is, do I have a proof half dollar here? Can it be anything else, given that it has the "C"? Could it be a business strike struck on a proof die (though wouldn't that still come off looking like a proof? I'm not sure.)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Pillar of the Community
United States
661 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, you are correct. The "C" on the chest is only found on proof coins. My guess is that the grader missed it. I have been looking for one of those as well, what are you planning on doing with it?
  Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 340Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05