Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1885-O Morgan. Need Help Grading This One.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 484Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  10:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 2Slim60 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Although I've been collecting for quite some time and have Morgans in my collection, this Morgan was inherited. Two of the pictures I am sending were taken in natural light to mute the toning on the coin. The third picture was taken in artificial light to show the toning, breast feathers and talons.
Please take a look at the pics and tell me what you think.
Thanks

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47948 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say EF-40

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2023 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-55 sharpness, but no apparent luster.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6951 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU55
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2Slim60 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My apologies for all who read this post. I have been trying to resolve an issue with taking a picture of the toning of this coin and have run into a few problems. The toning is very dark and when I take a picture of the coin in natural light (sunlight) the toning turns grey and makes it look like the coin was cleaned and the breast feathers and talons look as if they are worn smooth. When I take a picture of the coin in artificial light, most of the devices are revealed but the coin looks yellow which is not its true color. So, the first two images I upload, will be as close to the true toning as I can get and the rest of the images will be of the coin using different light sources to highlight the devices and fields. Pleases remember that all of the images are of the same coin.Please don't give up on this coin.

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2Slim60 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As for luster, there is a carousel on both sides.
Valued Member
United States
368 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your pictures aren't all of the same coin. I really don't understand what's going on here, but on the reverse, there is a definite mark on the coin to the right of the eagles head in one photo (the eagles left), and yet this mark is completely missing in other photos. Also in another photo there are clear spots above the E and to the left of the O on the reverse in one photo and once again completely missing from other photos. Can you explain that?
Edited by KauaiHawaiiGuy
04/09/2020 12:05 pm
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2Slim60 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I completely understand your concern with this coin, but I can assure you that these pics are the same coin, just with a different light source. The mark you are referring to is in all of the pictures, it just looks different as the light is reflected from it. It is a small blemish, not even a scratch that you are looking at. For a better reference, look below the second "S" in STATES and you will see a light spot that shows on all the pictures. There is also 3 light dots to the right of the "F" in OF that shows in all of the pictures. And finally, there is a light spot between the right tail feathers and the wreath that is also in all of the pictures. I do not think that these can be duplicated. Again, I appreciate your statement but these pics are of the same coin.
Valued Member
United States
368 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but I can assure you that these pics are the same coin

OK, It's your coin so I'll take your word for it. Perhaps when you moved it to take pictures you got some dust specks or cookie crumbs on it, but the 5th picture from the bottom most definitely has a spot over the E and to the left of the O that no other photo has. Didn't mean to insinuate that you weren't being truthful, just thought you got your pictures mixed up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2622 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2Slim60 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Which "E" and which "O" ?
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2Slim60 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slider, 53 ? Really ? There are no bag marks in the fields or even on the devices except for the mark in the center of her cheek. Good luster beneath the toning and a regular strike.
Valued Member
United States
368 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Which "E" and which "O" ?

the word ONE.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2622 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am seeing circulation rub on the coin, and your photos are not showing enough luster for a 58. I was on the fence between 55 and 53 depending on the photo that I looked at. To grade from photo the coin needs to represent what it looks like in hand.
Valued Member
United States
285 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wideglide to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see some slight wear in places, as well as a few hits. I think I'm at EF-45 or AU-50.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47948 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Talk about overkill.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 484Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05