Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Size Matters: Large Bust Vs. Small Bust 1973 Canadian Quarters

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 325Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  12:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
PCGS - Connoisseurs of Canadian coins know the coinage of the Great White North offers a wide range of interesting - sometimes rare - varieties. That's certainly the case with 1973 Canadian Quarters. Featured on these quarters is a one-year-only commemorative reverse design honoring the centennial of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), the law enforcement team often shorthanded "Mounties" and established in 1873 as the North West Mounted Police.

The Mounties are famous for their red uniforms and stately horses, the latter originally used as practical transport for the officers in a pre-automobile era. The mounted officers still serve a critical law enforcement role, though these days the horses are used almost exclusively in a role of pomp and pageantry. RCMP officers must earn the privilege to ride on the majestic black horses by serving at least two years of active duty. RCMP officers on horseback can be found standing sentinel in many gala events throughout Canada each year.

The iconic RCMP "Mounties" were handsomely honored on the reverse of the 1973 Canadian Quarter, which was struck for circulation to the tune of 134,958,587 pieces. The coin was a popular circulating commemorative, one of many the Royal Canadian Mint has struck over the years. And in the case of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Centennial Quarter, the reverse of which was designed and engraved by Paul Cedarberg, it became one of the more sought-after issues.

Read the entire article.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6412 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I remember the advent of this design. It was one of my favorites. And due to no internet back then it was quite a few years before I learned of the two OBV designs.

Also check out the red Canadian 50 with the RCM in a circle on the REV side. To me its one of the most beautiful bills I have seen.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
592 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also check out the red Canadian 50 with the RCM in a circle on the REV side. To me its one of the most beautiful bills I have seen.

that note was ahead of its time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 325Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05