| Author |
Replies: 10 / Views: 3,629 |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1188 Posts |
For the past month at my local Canada Post they had a 2020 Oh Canada 6 coin set sitting on display opened so that you could see all 6 coins and every time I seen it the toonie really bothered me, in the natural daylight you could tell just by looking there is a strike through right beside the "2" on the reverse. What bothered me about it was because of the plastic film the cardboard holder comes in, plus the plastic the coins are incased in it distorts your view. So I decided to buy it and take a closer look, when I removed the cardboard from the plastic I confirmed it was a strike through, and not just something on the plastic. I know it is probably minor but to my understanding the canadian mint advertise these coins on their website as "specimen" strikes so I was under the impression they go through a different process than circulation coins. Now my question regarding this and any mint set in general, if you find an error within a mint set, should you leave it or pluck it? There looks to be heavy die scratches running in the same direction on the reverse of the 10 cent dime as well but I don't want to break the set up if it would be better to keep them all together. This photo was taken with my phone through 2 layers of plastic and bad lighting, in daylight it looks a lot nicer.  Finding and discovering modern Canadian doubled die varieties since 2018. 2023 Recent Publications: Modern Canadian Doubled Die Varieties - First Edition PDF & Paperback https://www.mcddv.ca - (New Site, Second Edition, Registry & Services coming fall 2026)
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5342 Posts |
These Oh Canada sets contain just regular struck coins
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Canada
1188 Posts |
Finding and discovering modern Canadian doubled die varieties since 2018. 2023 Recent Publications: Modern Canadian Doubled Die Varieties - First Edition PDF & Paperback https://www.mcddv.ca - (New Site, Second Edition, Registry & Services coming fall 2026)
Edited by JohnWayne007 07/07/2020 6:30 pm
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5342 Posts |
The specimen coins had those funky finish and they were like 200 bucks a set, this was like a 19.99 set.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Canada
1188 Posts |
Yes, I agree, I'm aware specimen sets are more expensive than the $21.95 sets, but that still doesn't change that the mint is calling them specimen's when apparently they aren't.
Don't you think that would be a pretty big typo on their end, one would assume in any business, if you are advertising something you should make sure the information is correct. You wouldn't sell a VW Beetle and call it a Ferrari
Edit, just to be clear I didn't purchase this set thinking it was specimen, I read that after the purchase, I bought it because of the toonie, not the strike.
Finding and discovering modern Canadian doubled die varieties since 2018. 2023 Recent Publications: Modern Canadian Doubled Die Varieties - First Edition PDF & Paperback https://www.mcddv.ca - (New Site, Second Edition, Registry & Services coming fall 2026)
Edited by JohnWayne007 07/07/2020 6:44 pm
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Canada
5648 Posts |
There also looks to be rim bruises on the toonie
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5342 Posts |
The RCM doesn't answer questions about some of the easiest request, my guess it's a typo, I would leave it in the package and some day if you sell it, call it the rarest Oh Canada set.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Canada
1188 Posts |
Quote: I would leave it in the package and some day if you sell it, call it the rarest Oh Canada set. I like the optimism, I will probably keep it in the package, I probably wont refer to it as rare though haha. Quote: There also looks to be rim bruises on the toonie okiecoiner, 3 O'Clock position?, I noticed that too but it's really hard to tell with the plastic that it is in, just another reason I was curious if I should take it out or not so I can actually see whats on the coin.
Finding and discovering modern Canadian doubled die varieties since 2018. 2023 Recent Publications: Modern Canadian Doubled Die Varieties - First Edition PDF & Paperback https://www.mcddv.ca - (New Site, Second Edition, Registry & Services coming fall 2026)
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5342 Posts |
The edge bumps are from the toonie edge lettering.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2784 Posts |
JohnWayne007 there is some thing else also. you are missing the laser etching at the top of your coin. the security marks both are missing. I have couple with one missing yours is missing both. that is the step at the mint. some one for that. that is a nice coin to find. you have a great one congrats
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2784 Posts |
sorry john, I meant to say. that is the final step before this coin leaves the mint. the security markers good one
|
| |
Replies: 10 / Views: 3,629 |
|