Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Shipwreck Coin Identification

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 421Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2020  9:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sloscooter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
hey guys I'm new here when I'm Scotty I have a pretty large collection of Thai coins and some older American coins I also have a few of these doubloons, I inherited them from my mom's stepdad who grew up and lived in Hawaii most of his life he also fought in the Korean War but he had these in this collection I was told by another collector that there could be possibly Colonial penny in there, but it's tough to tell from the pictures. I need to get better pictures I know that and get these catalogued as well but I was wondering if you guys could just take a look and let me know what you think

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Learn More...
United States
15970 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2020  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ss, first welcome to CCF. Second, you are right that better pics would help us to identify what you have there. I do see a Roman bronze and a Byzantine coin in the group. I recommend that you take individual pics of the coins and then post each one in its own separate thread. I'm fine with you continuing to post here at the start, but I suspect that we will end up moving the majority of your threads over to the ancients subforum.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
22975 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2020  09:06 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2020  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sloscooter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hey thanks for the welcome guys, yeah I know I need way better pictures they're actually had another location right now so I'll have to get ahold of those but I do have a whole bunch of Thai coins and some old American coins,I have a old Sioux Tribe reservation coin and some other miscellaneous coins like that so I'll try and get pictures posted and cool thanks for having me
Learn More...
United States
86068 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3068 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2020  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm seeing a bunch of Roman and Byzantine (and possibly Arab-Byzantine) coins from 3rd to 7th centuries AD, and a few very worn coins that look like they might (or might not) be from other periods. Nothing that looks new enough to be colonial.

Only one I could identify from those pics is the tiniest coin (bottom right in the last pic) - it's an AE4 monogram nummus of Leo I (Eastern Roman emperor, 457-474 AD), with the so-called "Greek" monogram. Nice find!
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2020  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sloscooter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for all the post looks and also replies I was able to get a few more pictures I'm still working on some of the coins will be taking pictures next to a ruler front and back, and as high-def as it'll let me. thanks again for all your help

Pillar of the Community
United States
929 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2020  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Text on the obverse on that last one seems to be " LICIN LICINIVS" which with that ALE mint mark Would probably make it a Lucinius I coin. You really should make a new post for each coin though.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3068 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You really should make a new post for each coin though.

The irregularly-shaped one appears to be a 7th century (or, less likely, late 6th century) Byzantine half follis (20 nummi), probably overstruck.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sloscooter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I knew I was in the right place lol! my dad was going off of a website he had saved years ago and then started talking about this method on YouTube he saw how you put them in a frying pan and they can shine again and then you can put them down in your bar as souvenirs. so I put the brakes on that right away, told him we should ask the experts first. thanks for all your help. We're still working on getting pictures and categorizing them and I also have a lot other coins it's a long process. greatly appreciate everything :)
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3068 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and then started talking about this method on YouTube he saw how you put them in a frying pan and they can shine again and then you can put them down in your bar as souvenirs. so I put the brakes on that right away
Good thing you stopped it! I don't think there would've been much left of those if he did that, after that many centuries in the ground some of them are probably already barely holding together.

to the Community!
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 421Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05