Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1290 Dollar Coin Necklace ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 530Next Topic  
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2020  6:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add AKoin Hunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello again everyone. Couldn't find a good spot to ask this other then here seeing as I don't know much about it. Its the oldest coin that my great uncle past down to me. Its got some sort of band around it for a necklace I believe and its corroded a bit. Main questions here are,

1. What type of $ coin is it
2. Ideas of how to possibly properly clean it up and maybe even remove the necklace clasp.
3. Any value other then silver content.

Any other info is welcome of course ! :)
Thanks again to all the knowledgeable minds out here.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48691 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2020  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In this condition, this 1890-O Morgan dollar is probably only worth bullion. The bezel may also have damaged the rim.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
05/10/2020 6:24 pm
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2020  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AKoin Hunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahh ahaha I see. I figured ! and chances are probably damaged at that rate as well id say.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
619 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2020  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its a watch chain. You would put the pocket watch in your vest pocket and hook the Morgan dollar on the opposite side.
It was probably a very nice item when it was new.
Try soaking the whole thing in pure acetone (from the hardware store, not nail polish remover) overnight, or a couple of days even, then rinse it in water and carefully dry it with a cotton towel. Its kinda worthless to a coin collector, but might have some real value as an antique.
Mark
ANA Member
Official Snowbird! Illinois in Summer, Somewhere warm in Winter
My7070
Edited by mtuma3
05/10/2020 6:33 pm
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2020  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AKoin Hunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahh. So Acetone then. Alight. And I actually managed to pull the bezel off of it. Actually just crumbled and the edges dont seem damaged other then the corrosion.
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2020  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I assume that you caught the fact that the year on your coin 1s 1890 and not 1290 - although the eight does indeed closely resemble a "2".
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2020  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AKoin Hunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It really did look like a 2 to me at first and I didn't know what significance that had. But it turned into a nice 8 after wiping it down ahaha
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2020  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AKoin Hunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes ahaha. I realize it looks as if I believed it was truly from 1290 which was not the case. I just thought that date was just on there for some reason.
Learn More...
United States
14451 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2020  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Instead of posting multiple one line replies, please read this CCF FAQ about combining your posts the next time:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/faq.asp#edit
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48691 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2020  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Worth well less than $20 at your local coin store. No upside potential. Just get rid of it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2042 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2020  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

As noted above, this is a 1890-O Morgan $1 coin. The New Orleans mint produced 10,701,000 Morgan dollars in 1892.

It's 90% silver and 10% copper, so at today's price of $15.63 per ounce, it's worth $12.09 if it hasn't corroded too much. The weight, without the bezel should be 26.73 grams.

The damage done by the bezel has ruined any collectable value.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Pillar of the Community
United States
3257 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2020  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to see it wasn't a 1895 O ....
Learn More...
United States
87429 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 530Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05