Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 D Jefferson Nickel Error Coin? Help Needed

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 162Next Topic  
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2020  10:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rosalita to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys,

I am new to coin community. I found this 1964 D nickel in my father's 1964 United States Mint Set and noticed that the rim on the obverse above Jefferson's head is flat or almost gone. Is this an Off Center Coin Strike Error?

Secondly, on the reverse it looks as though the mint mark 'D' been double died?

Lastly, wanted to ask why the color of this coin is more satiny? Is this a special strike or a proof coin?

Thanks very much. I appreciate all your comments which help me learn more about this 1964 D coin and error's I can't see or know about.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3151 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2020  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Up to 1989 if the mint mark looks doubled,then we /they are called re-pounced mint marks (RPMs) and if your not familiar with this site Varietyvista.com, check it out, they list most all double dies and RPMs
Others should be by to answer your other questions...
Pillar of the Community
United States
640 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The thinning of observe rim is due to a misaligned die, sometimes abbreviated MAD. The mint mark might be doubled, which would be a repunched mint mark, or RPM. A closeup image of that area is needed to be sure. The satiny look can come from dies that are fresh and have not yet stamped out many coins, often called an early-die state, or EDS. Personally, I'm a fan of early-die state coins, but even so do not think you coin carries a big premium because many other 1964 nickels exist in an early die state. Worth maybe 50 cents or $1 at best.
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 162Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05