Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is Numista Worth The Effort?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 460Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
183 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  06:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

I've been back at collecting for about two years now and expect to start trading some of what I've amassed, hopefully in order to fill various gaps and upgrade coins of particular interested.

I'm looking at Numista as a platform for this - wondering if anyone out there uses it and what their experience has been? Thumbs up? Down? Sideways?

Learn More...
United States
16011 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  07:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like numista, especially for when I'm trying to find an example of a coin. It can be quite helpful. Also, I have added a few coins from my own collection, but I spend so much time on CCF that I can't fully commit to another platform.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3360 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like you, @Silver, my interest in collecting got renewed a few years ago.
I use Numista for research, and like @spence, am also a contributor (I've listed about 30 types there), but never traded coins. I use eBay to move coins that no longer fit my current collecting aims.
More transactional than collegial, but ...

Valued Member
United Kingdom
337 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would of said U-coin is better as you used to be able to upload your own pics of the coin to your database and its very easy to use. The but being if you wish to use your own pics its a yearly subscription of 24 . I am still umming and rring as its really a swapping site than trade. So none of mine would appear in the swap section lol. I use numista as well as the database is a lot more variety orientated and a great source of information.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2386 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
numista is a fantastic reference site, but if you are looking to sell, or buy, then eBay is your platform,

as flawed as it is sometimes it IS the "world" stage.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20099 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like they have a lot of traders there but I have never tried to do a swap.
I use Numista only as a reference source, easier to use it than pulling the Krause catalogs out.
Valued Member
Canada
183 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input folks - I'll try dabbling and see where I land. Planning to also look into eBay over the summer....
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3076 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  03:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regularly use Numista for ID and for collection tracking, never used it for swaps, but if I had to use something for trades/swaps (so far I just hadn't done any except in person), I would definitely rather use Numista than eBay.

(I would also probably rather use CCF than Numista, and there are likely even better services that I can't think of offhand; eBay is just so extremely inconvenient, by itself and for trades, that it loses almost every comparison. Though I suppose eBay would probably still be better than, say, Tumblr.)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19315 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never heard of it until now. Think I'll try it.
just carl
Valued Member
Canada
463 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like Numista for a few reasons: 1) Keeping an online inventory of my coins; 2) Identifying coins I'm not familiar with; 3) Looking at pictures of the various types of coins throughout history.

I have made a few trades, but find that almost always the people that want to trade with me do not have any coins I am interested in. Also, people tend to value the coins they own more than the coins they want to trade for.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
745 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love Numista and consider it my main site, it has a great catalogue and I like the forums too. However just recently had a run in with a troll there.

The good thing this site has is that we have no real trolls and and Numista has a few and the usual barrage of people who have inherited coins and want to know why the one they have is not worth the same as the 10 million dollar one on the internet.

The Free Discussion forum is great and the catalogue is worth its weight in gold.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3394 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bar none it is the best coin catalog out there... and the price is right, free.

I haven't used it for swaps, nor have I visited their boards.
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 460Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05