Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1900 Indian Cents. Toned Coins Value?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 401Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  9:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add almostpennylane to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys!! I have two toned 1900 Indian cents. I personally think they're super beautiful. Even though the details have faded a bit, they still have that glossy shine. It was pretty difficult to take accurate pictures of the toning (though these are fairly close), but both have purple/blue/green toning. I know the value of toned coins is pretty subjective, but was wondering if these have any value? Or just personal treasures?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47826 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be honest, both seem to be severely polished junk examples, worth less than fifty cents each. If even that.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
05/20/2020 9:51 pm
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add almostpennylane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personal treasure it is! Thank you for the info!!
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add almostpennylane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also to mention - both of these came out of mint sets. Which I'mguessing can easily be switched in and out, but not sure if that makes a difference
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4067 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't believe they made mint sets in 1900, only proof sets, which were incredibly rare (only 912 made). Are you sure it wasn't a contemporary set?

In any case, I agree with frog, unfortunately both the coins are considered cull cons and would only be worth 10-20 cents each in bulk.
Edited by Adam_E
05/20/2020 10:08 pm
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add almostpennylane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a classic newb thing for me to say lol. Yes, I think it is a contemporary set. Both were called "America's First Silver Penny & Racketeer Gold Nickel". As you may guess, they both also came with gold plated Liberty nickels.
Pillar of the Community
United States
896 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cringeworthy!
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Learn More...
United States
86110 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13381 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well just a tip for ya , you will never see natural toning on well worn and beat up IHC as the ones you have . value 35 each on a good day .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add almostpennylane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not really looking to resell as I wouldn't feel confident listing accurately (as you all can tell), but it is great info to have. Since I'm very very new to coin collecting, would it be fair to say that any coin that has a glossy toning is artificial? Sorry for the super newbie questions :/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1570 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the set actually says "America's First Silver Penny & Racketeer Gold Nickel", I suspect the IHCs have been plated. There weren't any "silver pennies". It sure looks like plating and not toning to me. I suspect that the "racketeer nickels" are also plated (if they're still in this set). Real racketeer nickels exist, they were gold plated V nickels made to trick people into thinking they were $5 coins, but it's too easy to plate a normal nickel and call it "racketeer".
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add almostpennylane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree that the two coins per set appear to be plated. Couldn't imagine them being real racketeer nickels
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 401Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05