Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is This Kind Of Issue With A Coin Called? Saint Gaudens Folks?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 419Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  6:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 4504 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello

I saw this one today and saw an issue with it, in that it's most left sunshine ray was broken off and laying on the coin close by. I know there is a name for this kind of issue, but I forgot what it is called. I once saw an issue with the same kind of coin and year, a small part of it's edge had broken off I guess while being struck and had imbedded itself into the coin. A strike-thru, perhaps?

Incidently, while you are looking at it, if any of you St. Gaudens type folks or anybody cares to chime in, what would you grade this coin at, going by this one side? It seems that these particular coins are just graded differently by the TPG's, and I have no problem with that if true, but I was curious as to what you "home" graders would say that it was.

Having looked at a few of them, but do not own one, I would say a 63 or 64 but I could be way off.

Thanks... Mike

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47809 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obverse pic, please.
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 4504 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok...

Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 4504 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and here a couple of coin auction sites I had never heard of before. it's nice to watch some other places other than the usual. between the two, you are bound to find whatever kind of coin you are interested in... so tired of the bay, stacks, Heritage, even Amazon. these sites have got coins of all shapes, sizes, types and values. take a look... you might have to mess around with the search filters to find what you like to see tho, they are loaded with coins...

and after maybe somebody can answer my original question? thanks all... mike

https://hibid.com/lots/coins---curr..._LOW&ipp=100

https://potofgoldestate.hibid.com/c...oin-auction/
Pillar of the Community
United States
4633 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's either a fake or worth about $10,000-15,000.
Guess which I think is more likely.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2621 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin has a few issues on the reverse that would give me concern. The eagles beak looks strange, the arrow on reverse behind eagles head is cooked, some of the letters look strange and the broken/displaced tip of the left arrow looks like something that would happen on a counterfeit.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8088 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO, there's a reason why this coin isn't a slab. No one would ever buy a coin like this raw.
Sets in progress... Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 4504 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I support your opinions, by way of the obvious that has already been pointed out...

1. this 1907 high relief is not in a slab for a reason. And it is in too good of shape otherwise to not have it authenticated. I go by the columns on the buildings, the reach of the rays on the reverse, the clarity of the tail feathers, the meshing of the letters above, but the beak really bothers me. I have seen 66 examples which did not have such a sharp one.

however, perhaps the most damming evidence of fake or counterfeit is that if it was on paypal, they would do something if it was a fake. there seems to be no such "guarantee" options available. In other words, you bought it, you own it. counterfeit or not. At this point I am not 100% willing to say that it is a certain fake however. As I said before, I have seen such break-off or whatever it is called issues before on genuine st. gaudens. but as some of you have pointed out, someone may be in for a very expensive lesson...

thanks all... mike

but besides that, those sites have some pretty Bueno coins... nice to have a change once in a while.
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Run away....
Valued Member
Canada
127 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coincollector2012 is right. the only reason you should buy this coin raw is if you are an expert in it and know for certainty what you are handling.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7239 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A possible Omega Man counterfeit? THis one if fake is very high quality. I see a few obvious die markers on the reverse a die scratch (raised) line going through the top wing and a small part of another die gouge just at the claw into the wing. Can't really get a good look to see if there is the Omega mark inside the claw.

The Omega High Relief is one of the finest counterfeit coins ever made, and they sell for a pretty good amount even as counterfeits to collectors now days. I held and examined a few, the first one was with Dave Bowers at the first ANA Summer Seminar I took, so long ago, he had it to show just how good the fakes could be, and all of us in the class thought it was real until he told the story and showed us the marker points to tell.

https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v11n47a15.html
Just a small link to read a bit more about the Omega Fakes. They are an interesting coin in their own right, but I'm not sure this is one, it looks really well made if fake.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16511 Posts
 Posted Today  3H 25M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A possible Omega Man counterfeit?

I think we may have a winner. You have to blow the image up about 400% but there does appear to be something inside the eagles claw, could be the omega.

If so it shows that his fakes are NOT the great wonders everyone says they were, The first thing that struck me as odd about this coin was that "This is a high relief. It was struck at least three times. Why are the LOW relief and rim details so weak? They should have been brought up fully on the first strike and then just made sharper on the next two while the high relief areas filled. Instead they are ill-defined."
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 419Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05