Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1824 W Franc For Viewing

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 356Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  06:59 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ccaps97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I am trying again after posting the Thaler and some American coins. Here is an 1824 W Franc for the first 2 pictures. The last picture shows the foreign coins (29 different countries) that I have put in holders, there are another 30 or so coins but I ran out of holders. The bag in the back is what these coins and all the American coins were kept in for at least as long as I have been alive (73). Well at least now they are being stored in individual holders.

Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
309 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last year of the last Louis. Nice coin!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3465 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ccaps, I agree with erafjel that's a very handsome coin. It looks like someone in your family was a world coin collector.

To check the values of coins like this, you can often use an "Advanced" search on eBay, and type in key words, and click on "Sold Items" so that you only see the prices paid for coins that have actually sold recently. If you do this and type in "France 1824-W" you will find an example of this coin in slightly lower condition that sold recently for $25. I would estimate the grade of yours at VF, but others on the forum will also give their opinions.

Any others for which you want to post photos, the forum members will gladly give their observations and opinions ('cause we love seeing other peoples' coins!). If you are familiar with eBay, you can also do this kind of research.
Edited by tdziemia
05/24/2020 08:16 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
309 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with tdziemia, grade VF, and I would expect a coin like this to go for 20-30 $.
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ccaps97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks tdziemia for the helpful advice. I have been learning a lot about coins in the last 2 months. The relative that collected most of the coins was a seaman. I have what appears to be his book/passport from 1840's however its in German. I do know he came to live in America just prior to the civil war. I think he just collected a few coins from places he went. As for the American coins he collected a lot of different ones, most are in circulated condition with a few better that I have posted in the American section here. At some point I will sell the coins but I am still trying to value them. I have learned about errors (of which I have a few) and I see some coins even have some value in bad shape, such as the large pennies. The odd thing is how and why he collected some coins, for instance I have over 200 Seated Liberty dimes with about 100 of them 1892. I have 144 Liberty Head nickels and about 100 of them are 1883. My Aunt who I inherited them from had told me they did have a lot of gold coins (never specified what a lot was) but they turned them into the government during WWII. But she kept 1 which she gave to my wife when we got married. So we still have that and I will pass that along to one of our children. I will post another foreign coin now.
Edited by ccaps97
05/24/2020 09:55 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3465 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's great that you know that much of the history. 1840s were troubled times in much of Europe. That's when ancestors on the Irish side of my family came over (famine). There was a lot of political unrest in Germany, and a lot of German immigrants would up where I live now, Columbus, Ohio (and plenty of other places).
1891 was the last year for the Liberty Seated dime, so maybe he liked that design, or thought they would become valuable? It also was the highest mintage date, so there were probably more of them in circulation than any other date, if he decided to save some.
Likewise, 1883 was the first year for that type, and the mintage was pretty high.
Edited by tdziemia
05/24/2020 11:25 am
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ccaps97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tdziemia He also saved coins I guess just for their silver. There are over a 100 coins that you can barely make out what they are, most are probably Shield nickels.
I just posted the 2 20cent pieces on the American section-too bad he didn't save 100 of those.
Speaking of Ireland he saved 3 1/2 pennies (1760,1781,1792) well circulated though.
Thanks to everyone here for helping me. I had joined a couple of Facebook coin forums and did learn things there, and of course watched what coins were selling for. But I am glad I found this site last week as this site has a wealth of information.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1512 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  05:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice little grouping overall.

Word of advice - do NOT use rubberbands on the coin stacks!! Whatever's in there is really corrosive to the metal... and it will INDEED do it right through the mylar plastic window of the 2x2 holders.
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ccaps97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
realeswatcher. Advice well taken - rubber bands gone!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20786 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2020  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks VF-20, maybe 25.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 356Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05