Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Quality Of Eisenhower Dollars

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 403Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
72 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  11:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hidalgo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am planning to assemble a collection of eye-appealing Eisenhower dollars (clad, silver, and proof). I've noticed, when checking online sales,, that many of the clad coins are toned with unappealing colors (pale yellow-greens).

Can you provide a strategy on how to assemble a collection of beautiful Eisenhower dollars?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1037 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you collecting Eisenhowers primarily as an investment, or primarily for what you (you personally) really like?

The bottom line is, you decide what appeals to you. Do you want all coins to exceed a certain grade, such as: equal to or better than MS62, MS64, or MS66? If any form of toning is a turn-off, avoid them--whether they appear naturally toned or not. Since Eisenhowers are rarely found in circulation, or laying around in teller trays, you'll find yourself picking them up through online sellers and/or local coin shops and coin shows. Get what you like. All that can be fun.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
624 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should be able to find almost all of the BU clads in the $3-$12 range... Silver BU ones $20-$30 or so...
If you want slabbed/graded ones, the price goes up...
Start with some of the advertisers here on this site...
Mark
ANA Member
Official Snowbird! Illinois in Summer, Somewhere warm in Winter
My7070
Pillar of the Community
United States
1024 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you can get most all of them from mint and proof offerings in OGP (the blue pack eisenhowers)and be selective if you aren't collecting them graded.

Someone actually collecting them can be more exact I think there's like 32 with the varieties from 1971-1978.
As many as you can do from OGP and pass on the ugly ones would be the best way to get nice examples shot of buying them all slab bed and graded I'd think.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1987 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would look locally. One of the nearby LCS has a lot of Ike's and most are pleasant (well as pleasant as an ugly bald guy can be). They range from $5. to over $50 for a proof silver in high MS.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10499 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of options and all the above suggestions are sound. I filled my Dansco album almost exclusively with help from CCF members. Now I'm working on a PCGS-slabbed collection and for that, I've used ebay exclusively. If you're patient you can get good deals. I haven't tried the LCS route but that's a solid suggestion; just do your research before going in and know what you should be paying. The benefit with an LCS is you can of course see the coin in person before buying, and I think that is important if you're worried about undesirable toning.

Quote:
Silver BU ones $20-$30 or so...

That number is fairly accurate, but also I've picked up a few PR69DCAM Ikes for under $20.

Good luck and keep us posted on progress with pictures!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1071 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Charles Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A friend of mine sold his Eisenhower dollar set for close to $100,000. It was what I would describe as a beautiful set and a set like that takes time and money to put together. But then, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A less extravagant set is surely waiting for you to build! You mention yellowish toning on Eisenhower dollars. This toning is inherent to clad coins and there's not much getting around it. My advice to you is to get what you like and avoid what you don't. This holds for $10 coins or $100,000 coins.
Editor of CoinWeek.com and host of the CoinWeek Podcast. Author of 100 Greatest Modern World Coins.

www.coinweek.com
www.youtube.com/coinweek
Learn More...
United States
87682 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You mention yellowish toning on Eisenhower dollars. This toning is inherent to clad coins and there's not much getting around it.
A yellow-gold toned Ike is actually quite beautiful to my eye. To each their own!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 403Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05