Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Finding An Actual Reputable Auction

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 802Next Topic  

Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  10:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CarpeDiem2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey All,

New member here and seriously need your guys assistance. It would seem that I can't find an actual on-line auction that is not a complete and utter scam. Was on 2 sites recently and what a joke ! They must find an actual decent amount of dump sheeple out there as I recently was "outbid" twice in less than a nanoseconds time from when the time between when I placed my bid and then went to confirm such. I kid you not, I was actually unable to place my bid because I was "purportedly" outbid in the less than a millisecond between placing my last bid and confirming such. I mean seriously, how dumb do they think people are.How would it even be possible for the other people on line to raise my last bid before it was even confirmed and submitted.
Alas, I degress but needed to vent,lol ! Am very much interested in the old lion daalders out of the Netherlands and some of the old florins and half crowns of yesteryear from the U.K.
If anyone could assist in some reputable dealers on line, it would be greatly appreciated !
Learn More...
United States
105080 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18309 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6077 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
.... to the Community!

Online auctions can be frustrating as you are dealing with many unseen "gotchas". One of those "gotchas" is proxy bidding. Proxy bidding takes place in the last seconds of the auction and is entered by a computer. You cannot beat, or win, against the computer if the preprogrammed bid is higher than your already entered "max" bid.

This is just the way things work nowadays.

Edited by westernsky
05/24/2020 11:01 pm
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CarpeDiem2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jbuck, your apparent understanding in the matter is greatly appreciated !
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CarpeDiem2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Western Sky, also appreciated your reply. Am aware of the computer added proxy bid scam. but was wondering if anyone, including yourself, may know of any reputable auctions that may actually operate on a real old school legit manner.
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CarpeDiem2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should also have added that this proxy is taking place days in advance of the actual auction. You would think they would at least have the decency to play the sheeple at the time when the actual lot comes up for bid, lol !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5072 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I might be misunderstanding your question, but in many online auctions, you can enter both a bid, and a limit. This may explain what you experienced.

Let's say there is an item where the current bid is at $70, and the increment is $5 up to $100. The bidder currently in the lead got there by bidding $120 when the bid was at $65. The auction site only moves him up to the next increment, $70. He or she also entered a limit of $200.
You enter a bid of $75, you are immediately told you have been outbid and the next bid is $85. You bid $85 and are immediately told you have been outbid and the next bid is $95.
You keep going up, getting increasingly frustrated, until you enter a bid of $130, and are told you are currently in the lead.
Just to be safe, you enter a limit of $160.

But you will lose it to that original bidder who has set a higher limit than you (the last second "gotcha" mentioned by westernsky)

No scam. No gullible sheeple. As @westernsky says, it's just the way the system works, and there are several ways to lose. I've been on both sides of that situation. I've got both kinds of bids in at an auction that ends today, and will follow one of them live.

You win some and you lose some. If willing to go high enough you win them all. If trying to win popular coins at a bargain price you might lose them all.

Schulman and Elsen always have liondaalders. I have bought from Elsen for 20 years, and they are 100% trustworthy. I have bought once from Scchulman and had a good experience. Last I knew, Elsen only has advanced bidding, not real-time internet bidding.
Schulman has an auction in a couple of weeks https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=sale&sid=3888

Edited by tdziemia
05/25/2020 08:01 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20417 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

So now your entering the world where everyone, or most, people just want your money. And no, there are possibly few or none places where you can get a decent auction. I used to go to auctions and noticed almost every one had items that went for way more than they should. Finally at one I saw a guy I used to know and he was bidding on almost everything. After I went to him and found out he worked for the place and that was his job to help get prices up by bidding on things. If he won he just gave it back for the next auction. I stopped going to those after that. Similar with on line auctions.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5072 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And no, there are possibly few or none places where you can get a decent auction.

So in the auction in which I participated today, I
- got the first lot at $3 above the opening bid
- got the second lot at the opening bid
- got the third lot at 20% below my maximum bid (that one was somewhat surprising based on my research)
- dropped out on the fourth lot when it hit 20% above my original bid (that one was also surprising based on my research).

That was my third or fourth experience with them. They also allow you to let small purchases accumulate over several auctions until you want them shipped.

There may be bad ones out there (there is one auction house where I marvel that I only seem to win things at my maximum bid), but I think there are also plenty of honest brokers.

Learn More...
United States
14463 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I often check http://www.propertyroom.com and http://www.auctionzip.com/
I used to frequent http://www.shopgoodwill.com but the bids often get above my comfort level.
Pillar of the Community
United States
890 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, in the age of computerized bidding you have to just set the
MAXIMUM bid you are willing to pay. it's the only way IMO to
have a shot at the coin if you really want it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17525 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
After I went to him and found out he worked for the place and that was his job to help get prices up by bidding on things. If he won he just gave it back for the next auction. I stopped going to those after that.

I'd stop going to that auctioneer as well, and I would probably report it to the state board that regulates auctioneers. That practice is illegal in I believe all 50 states.

Now an auction house CAN reserve the right to bid, the major US numismatic houses do this, but the method they use is to place a max bid before the lot opens for floor bidding, just like anyone else who submits a proxy bid. Once their max is beat they do not continue bidding from the floor.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 802Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05