Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Aluminum Planchet France 1977 20 Centimes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 197Next Topic  

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  1:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add deisenb75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I found this France 1977 20 centimes coin, which seems to be minted on an aluminum planchet, rather than the standard aluminum-bronze for that series. I haven't found mention of others like it on the internet. Have any of you seen something similar? I don't have a good enough scale to weigh it, but it definitely feels lighter than the aluminum-bronze coin, has a different ring to it, and looks like straight aluminum. The lettering and detailing look a bit smeared, maybe from the softer metal? Am I looking at a fake? Insights would be welcome!

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7069 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't heard of any off-metal strikes for this coin, but the Monnaie de Paris was producing aluminium 1-franc coins for French Polynesia at the time which would have been about the right size. So there's a possibility that an aluminium blank could have got into the wrong hopper. An accurate weight would be required.

20 centimes in 1977 was only worth about 3 or 4 US cents - I can't imagine anyone wanting to counterfeit this coin.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add deisenb75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just used a not-very-exact scale to weigh it, and I'm getting 4g for the usual aluminum-bronze coin, and only 3g for the seemingly aluminum. The scale estimates to the nearest gram so it's not at all exact, but it leads me to think it's not a blank from a French Polynesian franc, which Krause says should be only 1.3g. Any other ideas?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2395 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
take it to the post office, or a jeweler, or buy an accurate digital scale of Amazon.

if it's an off metal strike it could be worth a good bit of money (Canadian off metal strikes are usually in the hundreds of dollars)
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 197Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05