Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1920-D Mercury Dime. Worthy Of Grading? If So, What Grade?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 843Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  12:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings all....I'm posting my lady here whom I named ...."Marilyn Mercury", due to well placed cheek mole deficiency (just a spot under scope). Seemed appropriate. . Brighter than pictures in-hand, and nice cartwheel effect present.

Anyway, all I'm asking for is:

1. Is she worthy of a grading effort? If not...done.

2. If so, what grade do you think will prevail? Or maybe a bandwith if pictures not adequate (ex: AU50 to MS62 or MS-62 to MS-64, etc.). Thx

You will note some Die artifacts/chips on some letters/Neck, and a few in the fields. Also a blueish toning, which under 100X scope magnification are blueish crystals/minerals in various places. A nice sample even if the consensus is it's not a grader, but is a worthy find for the collection. No worries. Let's find out.....

Here she is:

Pillar of the Community
United States
4097 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say getting it graded would depend on your cost basis for this coin. If you paid a significant amount for it, it's possible that the cost of grading + cost of the coin will cost more than the resell value.

Based off the pictures If I paid $20 or less I would definitely get it graded. But It's a little hard for me to tell if There's circulation wear or not. I would expect it to get an AU-58 minimum.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17075 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  02:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have made us all well aware of all of the detracting features of this coin but overall, it is nevertheless a quite attractive example.

I would not be motivated to have it graded unless I was intending to sell.
For you:
Do you wish to keep it no matter what? Do you need the money, or are you a collector? Can you do something much more useful with the money you receive?

Perhaps the average of our grading opinions may be sufficient for you.
MS-63.
Edited by sel_69l
05/26/2020 08:15 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34248 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  04:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would it squeak by as a FSB?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  04:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Adam...I have a number of free gradings available both at PCGS and NGC I haven't used, probably about 14 or so from joining their highest member program. I have two free at ANACS because there system had an error from entering one of my coins, so offered to the two free gradings. So for now, I have these submissions at no cost. I had a pile (still do) ready to go to PCGS in March, and then the COVID stopped the show. Don't want to get on my soapbox about that issue. But PCGS is back in business, so working that.

I got the Merc some time ago, but I don't think I paid that much for it. I wouldn't anyway. I will check though. Gotta dig out invoice. But even a AU58 for this Merc is not bad. I am more interested if the experience here thinks it is a body bag coin. Rejected for something I can't see (maybe I should just say that lol). But I will see how all comers' opinions look. The average like Sel_691 noted.

--------------------------------

Sel_691...when I started on this community, and being new to the Coin World, and still really am though I have been pile driving through it learning the last two years, I said I would like to build my collection via Graded Coins. That received a mixed and luke warm response. Lol

But not to retread old ground, I simply look at it as a personal preference. Money is always a factor for folks to mention, and rightfully so, but it is not a factor for me in terms of spending the money to get a graded coin and building a graded collection. And I look at it as an investment. It has tangible value. So it's not like I'm throwing money away. And, I like preserving the coins via Slabs. Meh, maybe it's a child like view, but my thing. My money. So... Again...personal preference and it's what I like.

Of course, if I get a coin that happens to grade much better than expected, and I can sell it and buy a bunch more nice coins, why not? And replace the one I sold with another nice sample. But I have a couple 1920-D's anyway. Lol It's a case by case basis. But I enjoy the heck out of the hunt. May hit a Holy Grail coin somewhere down the road. Who knows.

So...all I really want is an average grade opinion or more importantly, do you experienced folks think it's worth grading? Meaning, is there something that will make it a body bag coin (like I noted to Adam)? If so, then yes, not worth sending. Anyway, I rambling again. Just looking for a grade opinion, then I will decide what I will do. No better place to do that than here. Trust me, folks here don't beat around the bush for the most part. They let you know without reservation if they think a coin is not worth a grading effort.

And you made an interesting point regarding my giving detracting features. I like to be detailed even when presenting a coin for grading opinion. Thinking I'm helping. But maybe it would be smarter to keep my pie hole closed, and just ask for a grade and see what pans out? Let the experts tell me what they think. Probably will start doing that. Pictures need to be good though. Sometimes I nail it, sometimes I just can't get the right shots. Meh. Anyway...thank for the input. I do like MS-63. I was actually thinking MS-62/63, because it does look better in hand than pictures. 64 would be nicer :-) Ok....onward. (crap...ended up writing a novel anyway . Folks like it to the point. I'm working on it. lol)
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  04:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1...my pictures are marginal I know. But under a scope, the bottom bar is clearly split. Slight flattening seen is amplified by light deflection in pictures. Tried to get a better shot. Got frustrated and just posted. I personally think it will be the TPG's call, meaning, even they are human and one may say FB, the other...not happening. But if it is, and I think it is, that would be a nice added value. But if the consensus here is it's at least gradable, then I will find out. So far so good. Lol Ok...
Edited by BuyGuns
05/26/2020 04:40 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  06:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1....for what it's worth, I went ahead and tried to capture that last Bar and show the split. It's there, but as I noted, the flat spot narrowed it. Just don't know if it will pass muster. Here it is:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3999 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say MS-62 FSB but could make MS-63. If there's even the smallest hint of something that looks like a line, even if it's a scratch, TPG's tend to give coins FSB designations so I think this one is probably a slam dunk for that if you submit it. They are *very* generous, to put it mildly.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13616 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Merc . MS-63 so darn close to FB's . Sending it in would be a 50/50 shot to be worth the cost if they designate it as 63 FB . Your call .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17075 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
About 90% of the way to being FSB. Pictures clearly show the bands as split.
Tops of the bands have to be like the old style loaf of bread.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48848 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I lean slightly toward AU-58 on this. Just lacks pop.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20884 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks AU-58 to me and possibly cleaned at some point. A TPG "details" grade would not surprise me.
Valued Member
United States
364 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it will grade no problem. I'd say 50/50 on the FSB.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8874 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58. not FSB as the bands are not rounded but flat so it may get a FB designation. your last blow up of that area lends me to believe no designation. for me all 3 sets of bands need to be split but that's just me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7698 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's MS63FSB but I'm kinda worried about the color. Has the look of being cleaned/retoned. Love the die cracks and it's an attractive coin.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
2888 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  03:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They don't label Mercs as "almost full bands," they either are or they aren't, and my feeling on this one is "no."

I seem the only one bothered by "the mole," and it has a cleaned look to it, maybe dipped? Might grade "details."

If I was looking to buy this coin, I'd pass. But that's just me and my opinion. I'm picky about my Mercs, so I'm probably not a good one to comment, sorry. I call 'em like I see 'em.
ša va bien aller
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 843Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05