Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1940 Lincoln Wheat Cent Mint Error - Retained Cud (None Listed)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 501Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2437 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  11:02 pm Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have had no time to do much searching, let alone posting lately. But after everything today decided to go through a couple coins and post the first thing of any interest I found.

This one is a 1940 Wheat cent with a retained cud on the reverse. Pretty standard-issue error, other than that no retained cuds from 1940-P coins are listed on cuds-on-coins.com. Lots of 1940-S of course, but none from Philadelphia. That made it my first find of the evening and worth posting.

The coin has obviously been cleaned, but I'll do up some images to see about getting it listed sometime in the next couple of days when some time magically appears.

1940 Lincoln Wheat cent mint error - retained cud

Pillar of the Community
United States
1505 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find.
I've noticed that before about the 1940S having beau coup, but Philly, not so much.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2437 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Roughly speaking, there are 93 retained cuds known from 1940-S on cuds-on-coins.com. Most were found and listed by a fine gentleman and friend of mine who started collecting cuds many years ago before I even knew what they were. My contributions to this date came late, but I have one new die stage and five new retained cuds listed so still things to find. It's comparable in date only to the 1943 coins for quantity of cuds and retained cuds produced in the wheat series (1983 is another story when they switched to zinc).

But so far there are none from Denver for this year, and just this one lonely example from Philadelphia. It would be an interesting numismatic question as to why the dies in San Francisco chipped up so much, while the dies in the other two mints almost did not at all.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4139 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find! I find cuds are very uncommon in my bags/rolls. Errors in general are gems. I hope you have some luck with whatever more you hunt!

-CH27
"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent" -Carl Sandburg

Collector of Varieties and Errors of all kinds

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2437 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  12:22 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks CoinHunter! The rest of the maybe 250 coins I went through were nothing special, so just a single find tonight. Now off to bed as I haven't slept much in the last few days and have to be at work tomorrow. Been a wild ride lately and happy to have had the time to score one good one.
Learn More...
United States
16679 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  05:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It would be an interesting numismatic question as to why the dies in San Francisco chipped up so much, while the dies in the other two mints almost did not at all.

Agreed. Maybe @coop knows?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1505 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting question about why they seem to almost exclusively be contained to the San Fran mint.

Since Philly produced the dies during this era and sent them to the other mints I would think it had to do with the equipment, not the bar stock. Whether it was loose dies contacting the collar or tilting to repeatedly strike one side more than another they seem to be mostly contained to the east and west areas, near the wheat lines.

I wonder if the Feeder Finger scrapes we see on the reverse during the early '40s have any correlation? I've never made note of whether they are on the coins from one mint more than another. Has anyone else made notes about the mints for these Feeder Finger scrapes?
Pillar of the Community
United States
527 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's true about Feeder fingers. Just wondering do they run in same direction? N-S, E-W or ? Any other direction? Lol does that make sense?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2137 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find Tropicalbats! I hope all is well and you aren't too stressed.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump

Variety Want List: http://goccf.com/t/373255
Best DDO Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/375247#3218314
Best LMC DDR Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/378053
Best LSC DDR Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/378041
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
838 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not bad Tbats, now where's the good stuff at? Break out some specimens with juice!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
26893 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome find tropicalbats!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49623 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool for sure.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16795 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it possible that San Francisco simply ran their dies longer because they were further from Philadelphia and were dependent upon them for their dies. If die shipments were slow they may have had to use the dies they had even if they were breaking up. Denver was closer, and of course Philadelphia was making the dies so they always had a ready supply to replace dies once they started to break. How does 1940 compare to surrounding years?
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2437 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  12:49 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Surrounding years have a few, but not a lot. It's 1940-S that has gobs for whatever reason.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1505 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is it possible that San Francisco simply ran their dies longer because they were further from Philadelphia and were dependent upon them for their dies.

IMHO, I don't think that "running their dies longer" would be the cause in this case, since San Fran would have received the proper quantity initially to meet their production goals. (The same compared to Denver anyway.) If they needed more dies because of faulty bar stock, it seems Denver would have the same issue.(ie: an average number of coins per die pair- unless SF was unlucky enough to get all the dies from bad bar stock.)

I really feel it has to do with excessive stress placed on the dies in these areas in the San Fran mint in 1940 for some reason.

Lots of equipment to oversee and attend to. It might be as simple as an inexperienced newbie or hurried veteran worker not tightening something properly allowing movement or tilting East to West. This tilting could cause the dies to receive excessive and repetitive pressure in these areas.

We can't even know if human stress a year before the US joined WWII may have been a factor in a mint worker's focus adjusting the equipment.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45722 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the obverses, the dies drop the cuds sooner. But on the reverse the collar keeps them in place a lot longer. Thus you can see when on a foreign coin, the metal can move and continue to strike retained cuds.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 501Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05