Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

OGP Vs. Slabbed PR-70 For ASE, Opinions?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 404Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  7:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Quixy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am looking to purchase one of the 2019-W Enhanced Reverse Proof ASE's. Where available, I'm seeing ones in the OGP lenses for $150 and NCGS PR-70 slabs for $200.

I'm purchasing this coin for collection, for my own enjoyment, not with the intention to resell. It's unlikely I will ever sell it either, barring a sudden drastic jump in value.

With that said, is it worth the $50 premium for the slabbed 70 version? I'm primarily concerned about long term preservation of the piece. I've seen some mentions in researching that OGP lenses don't provide the best protection and discoloration can eventually occur with them. Is this true? Do slabs provide better long term protection?
Any and all input is appreciated!
Edited by Quixy
05/30/2020 7:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
764 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say yes, the added cost is a much better solution in the long term. While I can not speak for the ASE as I personally have none, a few of the many silver commemoratives I own as issued are toning a bit. So unless mistaken, the same type of encapsulation is used for all silver mint products.
ANA member
PAN Member

there's no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
1987 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have owned ASE since 1986, all in OGP or in 2 by 2 flips. The issue with toning has more to do with HOW they are stored rather than in what they are stored.

As to whether the slab is worth it, that's up to you. I buy all my ASE locally so I check them out before I buy them, the 3 I got in a slab (1994, 2007 and 2008 as the LCS didn't have them raw), I paid $0.00 more for the slabbed coin, so whoever slabbed them ate the cost. My LCS pays no difference for slabbed or not slabbed.

The 1986 and a few others that I purchased about 30+ years ago. Recently moved to a Dansco. Please note: The 1987 was my dad's he didn't store it well, it was in a 2 by 2 in a metal case in a humid environment, but since it was my dad's I kept it.

The 1996 was stored in the OGP until I put it in the album this year.

Edited by hfjacinto
05/30/2020 8:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's solely for you, I would buy the OGP, unless you simply prefer slabbed coins. A raw coin is likely either a 69 or 70, which are practically indistinguishable to most. It doesn't seem like you care about the packaging as much, so save the money to spend on something else. If you're worried about issues in the mint packaging, move it to your own, like an album, 2x2, or airtite.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1987 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, I hope $150 is the price for BOTH coins. The 2019 W ERP came in the pride of 2 nations set, before the pandemic, the set was $150 at several dealers (same what I could pay locally).

Here is both coins:
https://www.apmex.com/product/19498...BEgK27vD_BwE
Edited by hfjacinto
05/30/2020 8:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1024 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi. The pride of two nations set from the u.s. mint was like $139.95.

You can buy it on the secondary market for right around there still, literally almost all of them were PR70.

Now,from what I see on ebay you will struggle to get both coins of the set in PR70 for $200 or less. It happens but not frequently. You can get the silver eagle by itself for around $200. 2 coin set in PR70 on the low side sales for around $250-$300.

Intereating I'm seeing PR69 graded sets selling for less than mint issued price. Meaning the raw sets are mostly expected to do better than PR69.

My opinion. Save some money and buy a cheap slabbed PR69 set and pay less than issue price maybe around $125 for them.

Or buy an OGP set for right around $140.

Just to be clear they aren't ever going to be worth what you pay for it or more. But it is a beautiful set, especially that maple leaf. It's one of my favorite coins.
I'd say get it for around issue price or less. Don't but it above issue price.

I'm in florida. We have high humidity and my coins tone in a slab, in OGP, in airtites. Doesn't matter just too much moisture in the air even with damp rid and central A/C. The power goes out, someone leaves a door or window open too long.... always something. I do what I can to keep things climate controlled but where I am it's just a mission impossible. Toning will happen.
To be fair though it still takes a long time, like my early 2000s are showing the beginnings of toning so it's been like 20 years and that's in OGP or Slabbed.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Quixy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys for the feedback! I just pulled the trigger on the OGP set. I decided to save myself $40, as I'm not going to be able to tell the difference between a 69 and a 70 anyway. Really looking forward to these coins, they're absolutely gorgeous and I knew I had to have them the second I saw them.

@hfjacinto, Yes, sorry I was definitely referring to the Pride of Two Nations set haha. Though I'd have been more inclined to spend $150 on just the 2019-W than spend $1500 on the 2019-S haha.

@Big-Kingdom, appreciate the info on the toning in different holders. Hopefully since I live in Michigan mine will last pretty well hahaha.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1987 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@hfjacinto, Yes, sorry I was definitely referring to the Pride of Two Nations set haha. Though I'd have been more inclined to spend $150 on just the 2019-W than spend $1500 on the 2019-S haha.

Not all us paid $1500

Pillar of the Community
United States
1024 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@quixy. You have to worry about temperature shift's in Michigan I would imagine. It going from to hot to to cold, to fast or visa versa, will cause a low level of moisture from air condensation on the metal because it will take longer to acclimate. Still though climate conto and it should be fine. Just avoid leaving it in the car or near a window or by the door. Quick temp shifts can be just as bad as humidity.

Just my personal opinion but toning is the natural progression. You can slow it to a crawl, but I think it's still an eventuality regardless of how careful you are, maybe not in your lifetime, but it's going to happen in the lifetime of the coin at some point. I don't mind it, some people it drives them crazy.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 404Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05