Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1943 LWC Steel Purple Penny For Worth Evalution

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 367Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  10:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sccollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey all, I have this real Steel 1943 penny that is mineral covered Purple. I have seen copper pennies do this but never a Steel penny. I do sell coins on the internet and want to be fare on price. I realize its just a oxidization process that occured but how rare is this oddity and what would be a fare price bracket? Thank you kindly!

Edited by sccollector
05/30/2020 10:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5264 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are referring to the coin in the 2x2 then it most likely is a reprocessed steel cent.

The original zinc coating (and rust) is stripped off then the coin gets a new zinc plating. They end up with a bluish haze and have a more mirror-like finish. Sometimes then tone different colors. They are referred to as "reprocessed" and are only worth a few cents.

Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sccollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the details!
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  05:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sccollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did a scrape test on rim. There is no original zinc or replate zinc... its raw steel thats purple. Just in case anyone was curious as I was. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3484 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  06:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scraping a coin is a bad idea. If it was something special, it would lose a lot of value.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5264 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you think it's something special then send it in for 3rd party grading.

Good luck!
Pillar of the Community
United States
988 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the look of that reverse I would say it was toned with some type of chemical and/or heat
Jason
Pillar of the Community
United States
1019 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could just let the market place decide its value. Put it up for auction on ebay, with a $0.01 opening. It's possible someone would be willing to part with $2-$5 for it.

Or, just hold onto it as an interesting piece.
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sccollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normally I would not have scraped test a valuable coin, but this had to be decided as I beleived the group was right about a replating.....just in this case it wasnt replated with zinc. Thanks all!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13594 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Odd but maybe a bad attempted at reprocessing this coin .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 367Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05