Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1870 Newfoundland 50 Cent...

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 830Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  03:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Okay - here's another one. Talked the seller down to 530 USD and now I'm trying to talk myself into it.

Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  04:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does it fit well in your collection? If yes get it!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2291 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Big difference in grades between ICCS and the US TPGs.

I don't know if that influences your buying decision, but I thought it's important to mention.
Valued Member
Canada
125 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  06:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lakeman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a beautiful coin for sure....
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5338 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So that works out to about $742 Canadian plus shipping, it is a nice coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48916 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Totally choice for grade.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7988 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note what doubleeagle59 said.
Looking at the coin and your offer this is an EF40 coin in a holder with a higher grade on it, either EF45 or AU50.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@doubleeagle59 and @DBM

It's currently graded XF45 at PCGS. I think that's pretty accurate - I don't see an AU there, though it's difficult to be 100% certain about the state of the surfaces/lustre.

Are you saying that you don't think it merits XF45?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
504 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super rare in this condition and a beauty at that.

Go for it if you've got the $$!
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input everyone. Decided to go for it - I think it's accurately graded and, while 1870 isn't the rarest year, as @TheDeductable said, it's pretty rare at this grade level.

I'm on a coin purchasing rampage with this lockdown....it needs to slow down pretty soon!
Valued Member
Canada
482 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the few accurately graded XF nfld halves I have seen from PCGS. If you like the coin, and like the price, then go for it, original accurately graded EF Newfoundland coins don't come up that often.
Valued Member
Taiwan
328 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  02:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Everest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin. Solid grade with original surfaces in the right holder IMO. Very difficult to find a nice clean original example. PCGS is much more strict on original surfaces than ICCS.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
518 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is a huge leap forward from an 1872 also in this collection of threads. If that 1872 is a VF-30 as many insist then this coin is easily EF-45. Very nice and tough to get.
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tamarin - I find the Newfoundland 50c particularly difficult to grade. The contrast between VF-30 and EF-40/45 is where all the action is: the huge drop in eye appeal is often greater than the relatively small change on the Sheldon scale. It's that big, detailed braid - such a vulnerable target compared to the rest of the coin. Seems to degrade to a smeary, unappealing arc while the rest of the coin decays more in sync. Very different from the 5c, 10c and 20c: the braid takes a beating on those guys too but it manages to retain some detail at VF-20s and F-15s.

So that's what really attracted me to this one. The braid isn't perfect - a few more lines in the defending portion just behind the face and it would have made AU imo even with the few little dings and dents....
Pillar of the Community
Canada
518 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver101, it is a tough series to grade but it's also a spectacular series to own in VF-20 or higher. Once the detail emerges the coin's iconic obverse portrait owns the room. I like this series and have many examples here. And you're right about the VF-30 and EF divide. It is really tough to get a service like ICCS to give an EF-40 on this Victorian set. And with that said I have had some EF-40 ICCS coins in this group in the past that I thought were undergraded as well. Terrific series to follow once VF is reached.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
504 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  10:11 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it as nice in hand? Beauty coin.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 830Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05