Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1881 S Morgan DMPL? Grade?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,016Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  2:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add WeBeRolling to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey all, to be honest I've been all over the map with coins, collecting and roll hunting. I finally think I may have found my passion, and I know many people feel the same. Morgan dollars are just gorgeous to me, anyways I bought this recently raw and need your opinion on grade and possibly DMPL...thanks in advance!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
34683 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not good at grading,but just a note...1881-S are known for high grades.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WeBeRolling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John1 I always look for your reply, you are one of the reasons people like me keep coming back. And I agree that the 81 S is known for high grades...in MS theirs probably 18,500 at 65 or better at PCGS and somewhere around 2,500 in PL at 65 or better, but with a mintage of +12 million theirs only 350 in DMPL at 65 or better. So here's to hoping lol. Thanks again
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5350 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks DMPL to me!

There are some toning spots that looks like toning that results from an old JewelLustre dip that wasn't properly rinsed. Fields and face appear to be very clean.....maybe too clean?!

I always wonder why coins like this haven't already been slabbed? Only the current owner and previous owners have the answers. Simplest answer is it just come out of the woodwork and hasn't had a chance for slabbing.

Based solely on the pics I'd give it a 65 DMPL. Bottom line....it looks nice!

Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WeBeRolling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks westernsky I sought this out at an auction from someone who wasn't selling anything else coins. It came from TX in an old plastic display case with old screw rivets holding it in along with another Morgan dollar that had been rolled and stretched. This coin wasn't the focus of the display and I think it's been untouched for a long long time. I don't think they knew the quality of this coin in the case but I did lol. Thanks again.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49444 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd have to say 66DMPL if not even higher.
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WeBeRolling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coinfrog! Loving these answers, coin collecting is a lot like lottery tickets, bunch of losers and even when u think you've got a winner it's a dud hahaha. May have finally found something though, and that's the thrill of the hunt. I obviously cracked it out of the old display, so should I get it graded? It's hard not to look at the 1880 S MS69PL (the highest graded Morgan) and not think this one's even prettier but I don't want to get carried away lol. Going to try to post a pic of the 1880 S MS69PL and see what y'all think.

PS I only paid $70 for the 2 Morgan's so maybe I got lucky...idk. Thanks again everyone!
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WeBeRolling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the Heritage Auction Pics for the 1880 S MS69PL...I don't know but they're both pretty...

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteelCut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It definitely looks DMPL to me. I just took a look at one dealer's photos of an 1881S NGC graded MS65+ DMPL and NGC MS67. Your coin is in nicer condition than the MS65+ and easily rivals the NGC MS67 in my opinion based on your photos.

Congratulations on a very nice find.
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WeBeRolling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks SteelCut, I keep going back and forth between NGC and PCGS photos. I use the PCGS app on my phone for most references and photogrades. This currently the highest 1881 S DMPL at MS68...it's beautiful and I can't wait to see what the consensus is on mine. Thanks again!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
34683 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the 1880-S yours also? WOW!
What does Bermuda mean?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hope I'm wrong, but the fields appear to be polished to me. You can see some of the polishing
drifted onto the devices around the edges, like Liberty's head. Also appears to have some dings on the
lower right OBV unless it's in the plastic.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5350 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why not just go ahead and submit it for 3rd party grading and get it over with?

While we sent here and offer up opinions from pictures the coin could be on its way to the grading service!
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WeBeRolling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1 no unfortunately the 1880 S is not mine, just there for comparison.
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WeBeRolling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
suipakpaikungfu I hope not but not sure either. Here are some pics perpendicular without extra light. I noticed the lower obverse and it is on the coin not sure what it is.

Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WeBeRolling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
westernsky lol I believe it will be on its way in the next day or two. Have never submitted before so wanted some opinions/advice before I potentially waste my money on a polished coin. Thanks again everyone, I will keep looking for replies and opinions and will let you know when it's sent off and definitely the results.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,016Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05