Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Coin No More? Sales To Be Discontinued?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,790Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
648 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  12:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey on another forum someone posted Ebay was not going to take listings of coins or bullion several others chimmed in on that subject anyone here herd of this?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14040 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No but I'm sure Bobby would know .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
Canada
227 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add the_sifu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For reference, here is an eBay community link to the subject:
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selli...or%20Bullion
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3482 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Highly doubt that Ebay is that foolish . What will probably happen is sellers will be Grandfathered in some form.
Or Adyen will institute the same policies as Etsy where coins are selling quite well these days !
We have been gradually listing more on Etsy and will be giving our own website
more attention once the Covid stuff quiets down.
Just in case EBay is that foolish !
Another alternative , Ebay just washes their hands of the entire collectibles and automotive categories by selling them off to
Someone who knows how to run it better .
Pillar of the Community
United States
3608 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like just another area for Amazon to enter and dominate.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3482 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When you really analyze it , Ebay has not been a seller friendly platform for at least 15 years or so .
Maybe it's will be an opportunity for someone else . Coins and collectibles are not disappearing anytime soon
so it indeed could be a huge opportunity for a new platform . A better " mousetrap" would be welcome with open
arms!
Learn More...
United States
90183 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like there is a misunderstanding of requirements.

They way I read it, all sellers would need to be enrolled in the Managed Payments system in 2021, but not all sales will be allowed to be sold with that option.

In other words, a requirement for the seller and not the listing?

I could be wrong though. It is late in the day and I read through it fast.
Learn More...
United States
28340 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
READ THIS

It says coins WILL be allowed.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20768 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
LEVINE: And then a follow up was a couple of questions around categories that are not included [with Managed Payments] so far, like coins, tickets, gift cards. Those will all be included, this will be 100% rolled out over time, so anything that's not included currently will be included.

SWEETNAM: Yeah, and I know there were some rumors swirling last week on some of the Community discussion boards around, "Oh, does this mean eBay's going to get out of bullion or travel or timeshares?" I think was one of the categories, and the answer is definitely no. There's just, as you can probably appreciate, across all of these different categories there are different regulations and rules in place and so we're working on all of the payments requirements. These categories, cross-border trade scenarios - it all takes time, but there's no incentive for us, there's no reason as part of Payments for us to not support all of these businesses.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9020 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've purchased a significant amount of coins from eBay over the past 15+ years, and I would be shocked if they ever quit allowing coin sales and alienated buyers like me. (I don't use eBay for anything but coins!) I'm relieved to see that they are likely going to work something out to allow coin sales to continue.

I am sure they will develop a solution to allow sellers and buyers to keep the coin marketplace intact because the cold hard facts are that there are no alternatives to eBay when it comes to buying coins online unless you want to pay the exorbitant and absurd 10-20% or more BP's at HA, GC, or the major auction houses. Worse, those "big" auction houses don't deal much in the sub-$100 market, an area of sales where eBay thrives. I belong to a couple of large private FB groups that specialize in dealer-to-dealer, wholesale and specialty markets, and given the heavy costs and restrictions they impose, as well as the steep costs of most items being sold there, I can't imagine they would present a viable alternative, either.

eBay's not perfect in many ways but it's still the best solution available at the moment in my opinion. No one is likely going to invest tens of millions of dollars to create an eBay replacement just for coin collectors.

(I do know of one major web-based project in development, backed by a consortium of certain large dealers and numismatists, but it is targeted at the elite collector/investor/dealer/high-end market demographics, not the low-end "bread and butter" stuff sold via eBay auctions.)

The day eBay exits the coin market is the day I quit buying coins, save one or two shows per year.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Edited by paralyse
06/04/2020 10:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3503 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16936 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Those will all be included, this will be 100% rolled out over time, so anything that's not included currently will be included.

So coins won't be included at first but we will include them later.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wideglide to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?" R.W. 1975

Mark from the metropolis of Portage, PA
A.N.A. #3206350
Valued Member
United States
491 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Canada
648 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2020  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for clearing that up
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16936 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2020  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Further, "eBay sellers that frequently list in coins, paper money and bullion will not be required to register for managed payments until these categories are compatible. Until then, there is no action required and sellers can continue to sell on eBay as they do today."

And what do they mean by "until these catagories are compatible"? And I assume that once they are "compatable" the sellers will have to register for managed payments.
Gary Schmidt
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,790Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05