Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin ID Please If Possible. Tks

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 717Next Topic  

United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  06:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mercsam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is an East Africa 5 Cent coin 1937 KN. It should be bronze but this ine seems to be Nickel. I can't see anywhere that the bronze shows. So, is it an error or plated, The edges are very high and it weighs a fraction of that it should be.. Any ideas please.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1060 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  06:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That looks like bronze to me. Did you weigh it?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34203 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  06:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ms, I agree that posting the weight of this piece will help us to help you figure out what you have there. Also, while it will likely be too hard to photograph well, try looking at the color of the metal on the inside of the added hole. It would be interesting to know if it is a different color than the surface. Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mercsam to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Yes, I weighed it and it is 6.49gms.
The hole looks the same colour inside it as far as I can see.
The colour of these pics aren't bronze colour, and are a true likeness of it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3487 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it magnetic?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2381 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That weight is a little over the designated weight so that might suggest it was plated (plus you have the hole to account for some missing metal too)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1060 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bronze coins can be a number of colors.

It was probably closer to this color at some point

https://image.invaluable.com/houseP...18968122.jpg

But someone tried to clean it an now to me it looks greenish with a hint of brown.
United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mercsam to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin hole metal looks the same as outside as far as I can see. The coin is not a bronze colour; it almost looks like stainless steel colour. Not sure if this shows in the pic. Thanks

Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ms, it would be helpful for us to know if this piece is attracted to a magnet at all (as @oriole requested).
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2020  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mercsam to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, No, the coin is not magnetic. Sorry, I thought I had mentioned this; clearly I didn't. Apologies.
Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2020  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ms, I've been thinking a bunch about this piece over the past several days. The letters and other design elements are a bit smushed, but that might be from circulation flattening. The coin is a little overweight, especially considering that someone drilled an extra hole in it. The color is quite striking and quite different from most bronze coins of this series and hardly seems to be able to fool someone if it was used in commerce. The mintmark is KN, for King's Norton in Great Britain.

I see only a few possibilities:

1. Off-metal strike done at the mint
2. Contemporary counterfeit
3. Modern counterfeit
4. Zinc or Chrome plated after leaving the mint
5. Normal coin, but with a Bronze alloy that appears grey rather than the normal brown, perhaps due to environmental exposure

Of these, the only option that would be worth much money is the first and the added hole greatly reduces that value. So at this point, I think that we are only looking for an answer so that you know what you have (as opposed to potentially giving you an early retirement).

I do note that the NGC page for this coin, shows a more grey than brown specimen (but perhaps the pic is in black and white rather than color):

https://www.NGCcoin.com/price-guide...duid-1244151

If this was my coin and I had easy access to XRF or other non-destructive elemental analysis, I think that I would probably get it tested. If not, then I would probably assume that it was a normally minted coin was thickly plated some time after being holed. If you decide to get further analysis performed on this piece, please follow up with the results in this thread. Thx!

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2020  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Check living-in-the-past's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add living-in-the-past to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My best guess is that it is plated and was formally one of several coins on a coin charm bracelet that were very popular in the 30's and 40's.
Edited by living-in-the-past
06/21/2020 4:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
667 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2020  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely a coin that has be polish/plated silver to be put on a bracelet or necklace.
Valued Member
Australia
60 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Most likely a coin that has be polish/plated silver to be put on a bracelet or necklace.

Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 717Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05