Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Multiple Error Coins In One Linclon Cent Roll From Mint Question.....

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 420Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
323 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2020  8:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings all. This is just a question. I can post pictures later if needed/requested, but I am just wanting to ask if what I just found was common.

Got a 2009 Lincoln Cent set a couple years ago, that was sealed in typial white boxes, and the additional 2010 set of Shield first issues of 2010.

I knew the Lincoln Formative years (LP2) was the only Cent recognized by PCGS at least, with Errors of FS-801 to FS-808. So I decided to open as I found them sitting in an area I forgo about. Lol. Typical.

Anyway....I found 25 out of 50 coins had THREE of the Error types listed on PCGS. 25!! They were split between FS-802's (maybe a couple are FS-801's as they are similar), 803's, and 808's, (maybe an FS-804). As clear as day per the HD pics from Variety Vista and PCGS samples already shown on their site. The 808's are the toughest to verify IMO, but they are all consistent, and do look like the 'finger' described for that error type.

So, my question is simply is that NORMAL? 25 of 50 coins with confirmed errors. From one sealed 2009-P Mint roll? Just thought if I found one or two it would be cool. Not much value, but to have it for the variety/error is a good thing. Just want to hear any thoughts of those who may have seen this as a common event with any mint coin rolls.

Probably sell off most on eBay to someone who wants that error for ther collection. Keep a couple. Maybe grade one or two of the near perfect sample, and I found a couple I think that are better than MS-66. Need to inspect a bit more. Ok Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2910 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2020  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have not searched the original mint rolls, but I have looked through a number of OBW (Original Bank Wrapped) rolls of 2009 cents.

In OBW rolls, you'll find multiple coins struck with the same dies. If you find a certain doubled die, you're likely to find more. So you finding multiple of the same doubled die is not unlikely.

There are around 100 known doubled dies on the LP2's, so yes finding different ones in the same roll isn't too unlikely either. However you finding 3 of the MAJOR ones, ones recognized by the Cherrypickers Guide and PCGS, is incredibly unlikely.

If true, you are very lucky. I believe the ones listed by the CPG and PCGS sell for $10-$20 raw BU, straight from the roll.

If you are able to take photos, we'd be glad to help you confirm your attributions (Figure out which reference # each one is). Like I said, there are nearly 100 known and attribution can be difficult as many look similar. The ones on PCGS are only the most significant ones.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16630 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2020  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know what the variety numbers specifically refer to but if you find a coin that truly shows all three on the same coin then ALL of the coins from that die would show all three and two of the listings are in error. The characteristics of three different dies can't all show on one die without being ONE die.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1850 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2020  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking the OP was wondering if it was odd to find examples of three different listed varieties in a single roll of 50.
It is a bit unusual but certainly possible.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44956 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2020  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the mint rolls that they sold from the mint (One roll of the 'D' and one of the plain). They had a lot of the listed coppercoins listings in these boxes. Yes it is common to find them in these rolls, but only on the Philly rolls. The Denver ones were pretty much duds in these rolls.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
323 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2020  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To all....and yes Stone you are correct regarding my intention of not necessarily questioning all the errors (though that did surprise me), but three different errors in one roll. Two I know are clearly FS-803's (most), and FS-802's (maybe an 801 or two). In any event, I am going to post a sample of each. It should be no problem getting the angles and clear shots.

And apologies Conder if confusd the situation. No coin had three different errors. Just three different errors (one per coin) showing up as I pulled them.

So, my thinking is purely speculative, as I have zero knowledge of how the Mints make their coins in terms of how many press machines are running at any one time. How many different Dies are used at the same time, as samples are dropped into bins I imagine. And then maybe those bins are then tapped of the mixture to fill Wrappers for selling in the White boxes, as these were. Two per box P and D. And I have five boxes, the fifth being the 2010 first year Shield variety. But my guess could explain multiple varieties in one roll? And yes, only LP2 has any verified errors.

As I removed each penny, I had Variety Vista up along side PCGS. But I will tell you as I pulled them, not expecting much, slipping each under a digital LED display microscope, with one error after another glaring at me, I was totally in disbelief. Lol. Not that I hit a jackpot, as these are not a huge value, but that all these errors can be in one sealed roll from the mint. Just seemed unlikely.

But Coop/stone, you seem to settle it as not being all that unusual. Anway, I will post so you folks can see the coins. Like I also noted, I really need the potential FS-808's verified. Those are a bit unusual. But the finger is there where a 808 would be. But not that clear, or weak. Just is it the real deal? The others are definitely the real McCoy. Ok...thanks for all the input. I will get those pictures posted as soon as I can. Thx.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16630 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2020  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something to consider with these coins. With the number of doubled dies know for this series, and the average die life which would determine the number of dies needed to strike them, roughly one out of every three dies was a doubled die.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
323 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2020  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a note that I will post the pictures soon, for any interested folks. Been busy.

Yes Conder...I think you are saying there are many of these out there. I just thought it was interesting finding all in one roll. Which by the way, I have another LP2 I have not opened. That may be interesting. Lol. We will see.....
Pillar of the Community
United States
1021 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2020  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My opinon is like this. At the mint they are cranking out cents on the presses. They are dumped into ballistic bags and shipped out to be rolled and distributed. When something like this occurs they most all go into the same ballistic bags and ship to the samp place to be rolled. So rolls of coins struck for circulation are usually 2-5 die pairs roughly? Hard to say since I don't work there but I've found in the last couple years searching new coin I can identify a couple die pairs per box to a handful either by rim cuds, or die chips or Machine Doubling (which may or may not be constant strike after strike after strike) or grease fills.

My opinion yeah when you find something in a roll there's usually more of it nearby kind of odd to find so many in one roll, but not impossible considering the way they press them and pack them then roll them up.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
323 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2020  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Understood Big-Kingdom. That was my guess in a rough way. Multiple Die pairs, and going into same bins. A mixed bag so to speak. lol. And I just happen to get a roll with 25 of 50 with errors. There is no doubt they are the major errors, and a few that may be the FS-808, but now thinking one of the non-major DDR errors as shown on Variety Vista. But without any doubt 18 or so are the Major DDR's. 7 or so either the FS-808 or other non-major (DDR-067).

I just opened another box I had of LP2's and no Majors found. About 8 DDR-004's were found though. A couple I need to look up.

I also had another 2009-p roll from way back. That had quite a few DDR-013's.

Just a note for all: The box with those Major error's was dated 4/17/09. The 2nd one I just opened was dated 4/16/09. One day apart, yet no majors for the 4/16/09. Go figure.

And...all the Major's did have the associated Die variety errors such as cracks, etc., per Variety Vista's Die Stage pictures. Which helps in confirming their actual DDR type. BUt will not attempt to capture all of those, as it would be too much to post all those features.

HOWEVER....I am still going to post pictures of the MAJOR DDR's as soon as I get a chance. It will take a bit to capture them properly and sort out pictures, and sample pictures, etc., for folks here to confirm as valid. So I need a block of time with no interupptions. Good practice for all to have a go at confirming the MANY different DDR'S in this series. It is ridiculous how many are listed on Varirty Vista for the 2009 series. So anyway, they are coming.
Edited by BuyGuns
06/29/2020 11:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1739 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2020  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, we'll be waiting.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump

Error Want List (Important): http://goccf.com/t/373255
Best DDO Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/375247#3218314
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 420Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05