Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

English Crown 1927 Copy?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 828Next Topic  

Belarus
2 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2020  3:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mike9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi. I got such a coin, but its authenticity is in doubt. I ask you to express your point of view. The weight of the coin 28.33 - 28.39g.. X-ray fluorescence analysis of surface shows the following composition: Ag 74.15%, Cu 20.01%, Zh 2.67%, Fe 0.183%, Pb 0,147%, 2.84% - other additives.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
37106 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2020  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7916 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2020  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like it has too much silver - a genuine 1927 crown is only 50% silver!

But the details look similar to mine, purchased from a reputable dealer long before the Chinese forgery invasion:

I've seen Chinese fakes of these at Boot Fairs, but they always look wrong.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1699 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  07:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah 74% silver doesn't seem right - The Royal Mint wouldn't have been so drastically off.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1960 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2020  04:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some questions

1. How did you get this coin and who from
2. How much did you pay for it
3. I notice you are in Belarus, not a country that is typically known for its hotspot in buying scarce British coins.
4. Is there a certificate of authentication - or was one offered.
5. Is it magnetic?

If the answers are 1. From China, Russia, Eastern Europe or within the last 10 years - get real suspicious
2. Under $100 USD - Suspicious
3. Could be barking up the wrong tree - sorry but lets face it Belarusians are not usual members here.
4. This is a scarce coin worth several hundred dollars if real and usually any reputable dealer will give you some provenance if its real.
5. If it is - its fake.

Overall - to me the colour is wrong for this type, like NumisRobs they should be slightly yellowy silverish - yours has an iron like polished feel. But the weight is right.

The quarternary alloy was Silver 50%, Copper 40% and Zinc and Nickel 5% each - some minor variation is allowed as often the zinc, nickel and copper were melted together and the silver added later - so it would not 'pickle' the silver and keep it light.

The detail looks wrong - all this evidence to me suggests you have a high quality possibly Chinese lead or steel fake - that has been deliberately aged.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Belarus
2 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2020  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mike9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi. Thank you for your responses.

1.The coin is received from Australia, bought on eBay.
2.A little over $ 100.
3.No certificate, no provenance.
4.Not magnetic.

I don't think color is an indicator of authenticity. At dealers such coins are found both with toned and without patina, white/light. It seems to me that the coin is cleaned. The surface of the coin was checked by the chemical method (silver nitrate) and X-ray fluorescence analyzer. In terms of thermal conductivity, the coin is similar to silver. Diameter of this coin is about - 38.98/38.99 mm, thickness - is about 3 mm (on an old non-digital caliper).
Valued Member
Hungary
102 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gabibacsi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Princetane

Although you have written a lot of truths, your opinion was absolutely prejudiced against non-Westerners. I'm also Eastern European by Western perception, but no one has ever complained to me. I sold (and bought) about $ 500,000 in coins. I have never had a complaint and I know about 100-120 Eastern European and Russian as well as Polish collectors and traders, but only 1-2 people who would be breaking the law. This doesn't seem any worse than Western statistics. I don't know what the situation is with the Chinese counterfeiting industry, I don't care, but people who make up a significant part of the population in the Northern Hemisphere are rarely given such a weighty opinion.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1960 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2020  06:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I just inferenced the EE thing as sometimes I have had begging emails for stamps and coins from Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.

Plus I am assumed that Chinese fakes circulate easily in the era.

I did mention I may be stereotyping in my original post.

I am also not in the Northern Hemisphere or American or European.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 828Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05