Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Grand Noodling Adventure.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 479Next Topic  

Australia
38 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  11:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add polarboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all a relative coin noob here but looking to have a go at noodling and would like a little help. I'm not really looking to turn a profit or any thing along those lines mostly to try and complete a set for myself and maybe luck my way into a few interesting coins to as Homer Simpson once said put them in the book shelf and never look at them again (not really I love looking at my little book of coins).
I have two main concerns before my first noodling exploit, firstly that the bank is going to send me on my way with my tail between my legs(and there is nothing you all can do about that lol) but my second concern is I'mgoing to miss something through inexperience. So I have been doing a little bit of research about what I should be looking for by would appreciate more knowledgeable eyes giving my list a once over.
I'm only going to muck about with one and two dollar coins for now. so heres what I have come up with.

1) divide the coins into years and find the best example of each year and see if it's better then what I have (in some cases that wont be hard lol) Oh is a 1992 dollar coin a real thing or should I not leave a space for it in my book?

2) Put aside any coloured $2 I come across (they are so pretty) I'm desperate for a purple coronation coin Do red 2012 poppies occur in the wild or were they always a card thing?

3) Put aside any non circulation coins like the post office alphabet ones.

4) check the orientation of the back in relation to the front a see if Betty has gotten a bit drunk and fallen over. (can this occur on any coin or has only been found on specific years?)

5) look for the following errors on dollar coins
- 1996 Rotated
- 2000 Mule Queens head side
- 2001 Rotated Federation Dollar
- 2003 Suffrage fork variant (this one confuses me cause I cant seem to find any good pictures of what to look for and for some strange reason this is my favourite coin at the moment)

6) Cuds I have no idea with this really can they turn up anywhere on any year or are they specific this cud will be in this place on this year?

In general is it worthwhile hanging on to commemorative coins that have been in circulation like an 86 Peace dollar for swaps or something down the line?

I know it's not an exact science but what percentage of noodled coins do you tend to return?

Do you want to be my coin collecting friend?

So what do you think have I missed anything? apologies this post has turned into a book but I'm really excited at the moment, so thank you for reading this and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
524 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi polarboy and to the forum!

Here is a fairly comprehensive list of coins to look for when noodling https://www.aussiecoinsandnotes.com...ge-noodling/
Valued Member
Australia
113 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Polarbody

Are you only collecting gold coins?
No-one's ever found a 1992 non-commemorative dollar so I'd not leave a gap unless you have won Powerall 20 times and other such lucky things as winning an Atari game system from a paddle pop stick at a BP station even though you already have one (as my friend did many moons ago!) . Sorry, trip down memory lane over.
Never heard of a 2012 red poppy in circulation. They cost a $10 donation at the time and are now selling for $85-100.
Have found a Meat Pie coin but no other hunt coins. Did score a rotated fed dollar the other day as well. maybe worth while collecting silvers even if you only use them to trade for goldies.
Where in Oz are you located? Would be happy to trade/swap if in Bris area.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
720 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  01:35 am  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
for noodling the only obvious high value rare coins that you might miss are 1966 20c wavy 2 or 2000 $1 Mule as for the other error and dates, it is quite obvious what they are. E.g Bullseye error on the $2 coins
Edited by ryurazu
07/01/2020 01:36 am
Australia
38 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  05:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add polarboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi guys thanks for the replies, coaster that list does seem to be pretty good thanks for that. David I'min Sydney I'mafraid, I just decided to start with the goldies and am a little bit overwhelmed but I do have plans to get around to silver (and maybe coppers if thats even possible these days) I have been putting aside "special coins from my change for a few years but corona has given me free time to get around to having a proper look and sort and now I want to fill gaps. I remember those paddle pop sticks, the best I ever did was a free paddle pop. Ryu (street fighter fan?) I will keep an eye out for those.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1516 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some 1999 dollar varieties to look out for too: http://www.thesandpit.net/index.php...n=1999dollar

I don't hang on the commemoratives - generally they are pretty common. If you look at https://www.ramint.gov.au/one-dollar the coins with mintages of less than five million are what I would call the uncommon ones.

There is one known 1992 Mob of Roos dollar but it was apparently found in a mint set.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
524 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Never heard of a 2012 red poppy in circulation.

I've found two of these coins in circulation over the years ... the first was when I was depositing the week's takings at the bank and the teller spyed it and said that you might want to keep that one as she has people coming in and asking for them ... normally I would go through all the coins before depositing them but as it was close to Christmas and it was a busy time.
... the second in the till at my son's business.
Valued Member
Australia
113 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I've found two of these coins in circulation over the years ... the first was when I was depositing the week's takings at the bank and the teller spyed it and said that you might want to keep that one as she has people coming in and asking for them ... normally I would go through all the coins before depositing them but as it was close to Christmas and it was a busy time.
... the second in the till at my son's business.

That's 2 awesome finds.
I wonder if any are left in circulation nowadays given the resale value. Reckon they've been noodled out of the circulation chain.
Australia
38 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  05:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add polarboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I have bloody gone and done it! mind you for a very quick look at the bags cant see anything too exciting but you never know till you look.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1516 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are also different fonts used for the IRB under the Queen's neck on 2001 Centenary of Federation dollar coins though I think you only find one type in circulation.
Australia
11 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add petef7365 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2012 red poppies are in circulation because I cracked them in to the till when I worked at the Old Woolstore in Hobart in early 2014. They were in mint bags, not coin rolls from memory.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
619 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2012 red poppies are in circulation because I cracked them in to the till when I worked at the Old Woolstore in Hobart in early 2014. They were in mint bags, not coin rolls from memory.

Yes,they were in security bags,i jagged a few out of circulation up here in Northern NSW.

Just my opinion but I can't see them maintaining current value in the years ahead,surely we are at the peak of a Ebay feeding frenzy.
Australia
11 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add petef7365 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Just my opinion but I can't see them maintaining current value in the years ahead,surely we are at the peak of a Ebay feeding frenzy."

i agree. I don't think they are worth what they are selling for. just a feeding frenzy, like you say.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 479Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05