Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1995 D Roosevelt Dime Grade Challenge

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 408Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
262 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  11:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My PCGS package arrived today. Dimes have been hard on me but this one got me. Quite frankly, I suck at grading dimes. Give me your estimated grade and I'll post a full photo of the slabbed dime 24 hours from now to reveal grade. Keep in mind, my photo is through the slab so it has a pinch of glare and also some specs of lint. The dime surface of both Obverse and Reverse has a fine powdery-speckle finish to it which is hard to photograph.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
34701 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  06:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS65
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49468 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find it difficult to grade this through the plastic, sorry.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1248 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll go with MS66. Too, I'm not a fan of grading through plastic--hinders the photography.
Pillar of the Community
United States
683 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS66
Valued Member
United States
491 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS65, but hard to tell through plastic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3344 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I switched lighting which helps diffuse the powdery-like surface. Gives a more real world visual as I see it through 5x loupe.

Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here you go: MS67+ FB is what they gave me. I had this one pegged at MS66 so I'm probably equally shocked as you all might be. I was 99% sure on FB as under 5x loupe the bands do actually touch the field at all viewing angles. Probably would of got the MS68 but there is a mark in the hair and a ding on the torch. Maybe it's just me but I noticed powder-like surfaces tend to get the higher grades.

Valued Member
United States
491 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks much better in the later pics.
FB on these is really tricky I determine unless you have it in hand.
Congrats! Not many in that grade out there!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34701 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  05:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow,must have been graded at 4:59 on a Friday and clock out was 5 P.M.
Now let's talk ANACS
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose when taking pictures, don't use LED lighting as in my first photos. For the second set of photos, I simply opened the window and used sunlight as the light source. Unfortunately these photos were from my phone which means no matter what, I don't have the best macro abilities needed to get great photos. On the MS67+ FB, it's currently the only one graded at that level, no other greater exists. Remember, it's always a two person grading system with possible third person tie breaker if needed. At minimum, this passed through two sets of eyeballs at PCGS.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking coin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 408Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05