Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1969 D LMC D.d. Question?,?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 281Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
126 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  11:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PamV to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this coin a doubled die? Both sides have a plethora of repetition. I need help with this one. I looked through a jewelers loop on the obverse the doubling seems to repeating in clockwise with a slight drop direction. On the reverse its repeating just in a clockwise direction. All knowledge is greatly appreciated.

I hope the pics will be sufficient to work with. I couldn't seem to get a clear shot.
Valued Member
United States
491 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need better pics to better answer. Coin looks to be plated, maybe polished.
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PamV to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another pic of the reverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3191 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your photos have too much contrast, from either photoshoping or harsh lighting. Can you zero in to exactly where you see doubling? Your coin seems extra, extra shiny, from a recent plating or polishing somehow. There are too many pot marks on your coin that don't match the pristine high gloss on your coin. Glare is causing you problems photographing. Providing photos here and uploading them are difficult, I knowm but once you get the hang of it, it becomes easier, I promise.

If you provide additional photos, but sure to please rename them... close-ups of the areas you see doubling would be most helpful.

ça va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34701 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  05:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PamV to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took some new photos of the coin. I don't know if this makes a difference in the condition or the marks on it, but it was in a novelty keychain from a gas station. I removed it bc of the glare.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45636 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1968-1972 cents have a lot of Machine Doubling on them. These are not doubled dies, but machine damage to these cents after the strike.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PamV to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. Thats what I figured.. I started questioning myself on the "B" and the "E" in liberty. I know these pics are blurry. I can't seem to get a good clean shot. How are you Mr. Coop? Its nice to speak with you again sir.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1248 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photos are somewhat soft and underexposed. A filtered light source (and higher resolution) might improve the images.
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PamV to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know this isn't the correct place, but my coin highlight this year thus far:
I found a 2019 Lowell 'W' in a Fed roll.
It made me so happy.
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PamV to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JJN1944 - thank you for the suggestions. I will try them. I have tremors as well so getting a stable shot and correct lighting is hard for me. As well as I'm no photographer so I will google this to learn how. LOL
thank you, hopefully you will see in my next search for assistance.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3191 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I took some new photos of the coin. I don't know if this makes a difference in the condition or the marks on it, but it was in a novelty keychain from a gas station. I removed it bc of the glare.

Ahhh, now I understand what's going on... it's a novelty coin! Most likely it was plated, which accounts for the super shiny surfaces you had to work with! That's tough for even a pro!

Try photographing close-up some regular cent you might have around, I bet you'll find it easier to work with. Practice makes perfect. Now when you find a coin that interests you, you'll br able to photograph it without of the trouble you had from the plated novelty coin. I bet thinks will be easy going from here out!

ça va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45636 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PamV: Still helping everyone I know, to help them to learn. My plan is to help them see, what I see on their coins. This is much better than giving yes or no answers. Sure it answers their questions. But Try to let them know what I see, so they can learn to see it also.

Hint on improving images on this coin: The light angle is too low. You are getting the reflection off the sides of the higher devices. With the light over the tops of the devices at 12:00 is a better way to illuminate. Also using something to diffuse the images will cut the glare and help others see what you are seeing. (An image of your setup will help me to see how you can improve your images.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 281Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05