Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1976-S US Bicentennial Quarter Dollar Weight?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 349Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
94 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  12:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Habib Alimohamma to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
Today I was checking my quarters coins and I found 1976-S proof bicentennial quarter dollar coin that has 6.02g!
I know that proof 1976-S bicentennial quarter coin should be 5.75g(%40 silver) and %90 silver coins should be 6.25g, the weight of my coin is in between. How it possible to get such a coin? Is it rare and error coin?
I will be happy to receive your suggestions.
With regards,
Habib.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45600 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weights can vary. But images might help us more. It the edge is showing copper, then it is a clad coin. If it is full silver than it is a silver coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Australia
94 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Habib Alimohamma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Thank you for your kind reply and image.
As I mentioned it is proof bicentennial coin minted in San Francisco which is %40 silver, so its weight should be 5.75g.
Again many thanks. I will try to ask from PCGS people too.
With best regards,
Habib.
Valued Member
United States
482 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming your scales are correct it is a little bit heavy, I don't think it is enough to really matter though.
Valued Member
Australia
94 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Habib Alimohamma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Thank you for your kind reply, but as you know much better than me, there is only 0.08g difference between copper-nickle Quarter coin and %40 silver Quarter coin. Here we have 0.27g difference with %40 silver Quarter coin which is almost 2.5 times more than difference between copper-nickle coin and %40 silver Quarter coin and it is only 0.23g less than %90 silver Quarter coin, so I have to think about it and find the answer.
With best regards,
Habib.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16769 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toleranc for the 40% silver quarters was slightly stricter than for the clad coins (=/- .2 grams instead of .227) That would give a maximum in tolerance weight of 5.95 grams. So your coin is .07 grams out of tolerance. So TECHNICALLY an error, but not significant. If it had been 6.2 grams then I would say you had something good. Even 6.1 grams might have raised some interest, but .07 grams heavy isn't going to attract the attention of an error collector.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
Australia
94 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Habib Alimohamma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Thank you so much for your kind information. I think it is better to keep this coin aside, till I get enough time to work on it.
With best regards,
Habib.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 349Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05