Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Late Father's Old Coin Collection

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 437Next Topic  

United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  4:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Howardsgirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
After my dear father passed away in 2005, I inherited his old coin collection and I've kept them all these years for sentimental reasons. They've been stored away safely until I recently found them during a covid clear out/spring clean and it got me thinking...

My Dad enjoyed metal detecting as a hobby and he would collect everything he found in the same container. So his collection is full of all sorts of different coins and tokens and metal items. Some of the coins are foreign and/or recently minted in the last 20 to 50 years. Some of them are very worn and in a generally poor condition. I don't believe any of these coins are rare or hold much monetary value but I would like help to identify any of them just as a matter of interest.

I recall him telling me when I was a young girl that he'd found Roman coins and a piece of space metal! (Not sure how true this was or if he believed it, maybe it's just a fun story he made up to fool me!). However, inside the container there was a separate small bag with a few coins which he'd separated out from the rest and a piece of old metal in a weird shape (which looks like it could be from space if using your imagination!) If anyone could take a look and let me know where I can start with identifying these please? Should I attempt to clean them? Any tips on how to clean without damaging? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've literally just dumped the collection out into a pile to take the pictures and have no idea how to start sorting them. I've taken close up pictures of the few items which were separated from the rest which I believe could be the Roman coins and space metal my dad told me about. I also found an unusual pendant of a ladies head. It has the words "Victory of ?" I cant make out the last word but it looks like Irad? Also appears to be a 2 or 3 digit number at the bottom.

Many thanks for your help!

Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. I would love to research all of your collection. Being that I cannot, I suggest that you visit https://en.numista.com. There you can browse their catalog, inputting whatever you know about each coin, and see if it is in their system. There are many, many coins in their catalog.

Good luck - the rewards will be fun and knowledge!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
409 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The first looks to be a Constantine Roman coin - nice piece of history, but not scarce. Probably worht no more than a or two in that condition.
Second I have not looked up, but smacks of Spanish to me. Probably silver and the most interesting of what you have.
Third is a George III - probably Halfpenny with date obliterated but likely 1806 or 1807. Not worth anythin much in that condition.
Fourth is a Victorian medallion...
Bulk lots - I can't see anything startling with a quick glance.
Best bet might be to find a local coin dealer who will be able to go over those quickly and tell you if there is anything worthwhile. Whereabouts in the UK are you? I am in the SW and would be happy to do it if you are in this area.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
349 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The second coin I think is a 16th century 1/2 ducato from the Kingdom of Naples, king Felipe II. It would be this one: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces123479.html
Learn More...
United States
88708 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
443 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  03:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That Ducato is certainly interesting.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1123 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  03:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That collection is really interesting, but sadly verdigris and staining has taken it over and despite the highlights, a lot of very ordinary items are in bad shape.

I would keep it and start my own collection of coins, study the coins you have - like someone else said, Numista is a goldmine and its free (Yet they have started a premium service - which means it will eventually start costing- it always does)

Then build on those coins, maybe replace the stained ones with unstained ones. With nicer ones and build build build. Plus being on the site, its full of passionate and knowledgeable people - you have entered the world of numismatics - let these beautiful metal discs enter your life!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  07:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Howardsgirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for replying and for all your advice.

I'm in the North of England so unfortunately I'm unable to accept PaddyB's kind offer of looking through the collection.

I'm sure if my dad were still alive today he would marvel in the ability to research his collection online and I'm sure this is something I would have enjoyed doing with him. He certainly would have appreciated all of your advice and tips to enable him to catalog his collection properly. I hope I can continue to take this forward in honor of his memory.

Thank you again!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 437Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05