Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2009 Fy 1˘ Huge Die Chip

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 785Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1061 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  01:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinTheTerm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
check out the size of this die chip and crack

Pillar of the Community
United States
3203 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  01:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see the crack (it's a good one!), but I'm not sure where the die chip is. Zinc rot is eating this one up!
ça va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45676 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  01:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The chip is on the edge of the log. This design had a lot of die chips and crack issues:

Only value for these is for markers on a variety coin. Otherwise they are normal coin with a die event issue.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1061 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  01:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinTheTerm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
merclover the die chip is at the end of the log

should look like this
Pillar of the Community
United States
3203 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  01:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw the crack... I thought the spot in the centre of the log was exposed zinc/zinc rot. Sorry, I didn't see it as the chip. It's obvious now.

ça va bien aller
Pillar of the Community
United States
3203 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  01:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coop wrote:

Quote:
This design had a lot of die chips and crack issues:

Not to mention the 10,000 verities with this coin. I have a couple dozen rolls from the Mint to someday go through when I get the time.

But then what do I do with them?

ça va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34741 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice die chip and crack.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17166 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The log has a rather large split in it.
I hope that Abe doesn't get splinters in his posterior!

I agree: coin is suffering from zinc rot.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34741 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see no zinc rot in the ops' pics. Exposed zinc,yes and a few stains but no rot.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1061 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinTheTerm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks everyone I appreciate the feedback, tough crowd here lately I was sharing a cool find and the thread quickly transformed into value (which I didn't ask about) and zinc rot (or lack thereof as pointed out by John1, who is correct stains and exposed zinc but no rot) thanks for bringing positivity and a clear opinion to the thread John1
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1503 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find. That's a fairly large chip! I wonder if the die chip is large enough to qualify as an Interior Die Break?

Interestingly, cuds-on-coins lists IDBs for Wheat, Memorial, and Shield cents, but not for the 2009 circulating commems. It might be worth submitting these photos to see if it could be listed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1061 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinTheTerm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey fortcollins you make an excellent point, I'll give it a go and see what he says thanks!

He defines it as:
"Interior Die Break Definition: (IDB) When a thick flake spalls off the interior of the die face it leaves a void we call an interior die break."
Pillar of the Community
United States
2135 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From http://www.error-ref.com/?s=interio...e+break

Quote:
Any void encompassing an area of 4 square millimeters or more qualifies as an interior die break. Any void that covers less than 1 square millimeter is a die chip.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1061 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinTheTerm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Tunnioc I can measure the area but for sure it's larger then 4 mm sq
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to be almost a 1/3 of the log.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1061 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinTheTerm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
.... So a log off the old chip instead of a chip off the old log ( I know should be block lol)
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 785Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05