Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1922 Peace Dollar Questions

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 699Next Topic  

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  11:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add willielfrye to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello I'm new here and I have a 1922 just like this one. (Did anyone ever figure if it was a proof or not?)

I also have a new/recently purchased 1922 Peace dollar that I have questions about if anyone can help me!
Learn More...
United States
88708 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  01:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your reply was split into its own topic for the proper attention.

We will need to see your coins...

Uploading Photos

Free Image Optimizer
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49537 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, pics please!

to the CCF!
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add willielfrye to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Below you will find the pictures it is the same coin in each picture just at different angles with my flash on my camera off and on at first I was told that the coin was harshly cleaned then I was told someone took a wire brush to it or an SOS pad but I pointed out to the individual that the coin had no striation marks and it's evenly tone throughout the whole coin then I was told that maybe someone had to use an eraser on it but the same individual looked at the coin under a microscope and still saw no striations on the coin then he told me it was a CULL Peace dollar at which point I pointed out that I have hundreds of Peace dollars ranging from year 1921 to 1935 in Cull to MS condition and the person I was speaking to owns a coin shop here in Cincinnati and has thousands of coins and at least a hundred Peace dollars he then turned to me and said that I was correct about the coin and that is certainly different and told me to go around and get second opinions on the coin and maybe send it in for some type of grading.
Edited by willielfrye
07/04/2020 6:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
790 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That link doesn't work for me. Can anyone else open it?
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add willielfrye to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add willielfrye to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will's low relief 1922 Peace dollar

The coin has been weighed several times and the weight is correct for a 1922 Peace dollar also under no to very little light the coin is pale/grayish in color and under a flash or a bright light the coin is shiny so does anyone have any ideas?!?!?
Edited by willielfrye
07/04/2020 12:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5214 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Your most flattering photos suggest a low mint-state coin with possible hairline scratches from cleaning. There is also a dark smudge or disturbance below GOD on the obverse. Other photos make the coin appear polished.
Best case, this common-date coin is worth maybe $25. Worst case, bullion value only.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add willielfrye to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I am not in any way comparing my coin to this 1922 antique high relief Peace dollar but I am asking if there is a possibility that they also did this in a low relief "i. e. my coin?"
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I've heard, there were only 10-20 regular relief proofs made. There were variations on the finishes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2105 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin doesn't look like a match to a high relief 1922 proof. There is only one ray through the O of dollar, and there is a short ray between the first two long coronet rays above Liberty's brow. The strike doesn't have ths dished appearance of a high relief coin either. Sorry, the link won't post but you can google the comparison images.

Here's a 1921 proof die strike. You can see the deep dishing relief (especially at LI), as well as the appearance of the first two coronet rays.

"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
07/05/2020 08:36 am
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add willielfrye to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

As of this morning
Pillar of the Community
United States
7280 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  11:22 am  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree that it looks low MS, and possible details. But it might be fairly easy to look up the VAM. It looks like either a die scratch, or Feeder Finger marks through GOD.
United States
9 Posts
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a regular 22 to me. Also cleaned on Liberty's face for sure.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a typical AU-58 '22 Peace dollar to me.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 699Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05