Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1957 D Lincoln Wheat Cent RPM?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 353Next Topic  

United States
32 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  10:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Apiz13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Was checking on varietyvista and it looks to me like either rpm-001 or rpm-006. Would like to see what y'all think.

Pillar of the Community
United States
535 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post clear/cropped photos of the FULL obverse and reverse please. Need to see those for other markers.
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The biggest part of identifying varieties is matching up the markers which let you know that its not just damage but actually something that has been repeated every time the press struck a coin with the set of dies. Overlaying the VV image of the date / mint mark for the variety you think it is with your coin would also help you know if those are in the right place.

Thus close up areas on your coin of the die markers shown for that coin on VV or others helps alot. And the whole front and back.
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Apiz13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately I do not have a good camera and my microscope isn't the best either. I've been checking all the different markers and think I may have some but there's so many different varieties it's hard to tell. I took some more close up photos or certain things I seen could be markers. Hope this helps

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45747 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I'm not seeing one on this one. The images are not that bad just a couple of suggestions. When focusing on the the devices, focus on the area below the devices. (The fields) If the fields are clear, the tops of the devices will be clear. If you do the opposite, the images will appear blurry. You need to to diffuse the light to prevent glare. Glare can come from you light source. If you use a piece of white paper or even part of a plastic grocery bag, it will cut the glare. Even secondary lighting needs to be blocked. A room light or even sunlight from a window and cause glare or add an unwanted light source. (A single light source is best for micro images) But working forwards you can improve you images so much by using these suggestions.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Apiz13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to order a better usb microscope. Any recommendations?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45747 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a book light that I altered to get as close as possible (at 12:00) to reflect the light on the coin into the scope:

It looks like this up close:

But they don't sell them anymore in the stores and online. The newer ones are the LED lights that suck and they use more than one bulb. (which also sucks) One light source is the best. The bulb in mine is a 14 watt bulb. (Like the power of the flashlight would be. Others might give other suggestions. When I take full image shots, I also use a single light:

I arrange a circular pattern of BU coins around a coin to show its true color:

That my studio for full image shots. A top of a filling cabinet and a box with dark material to absorb light.

Countdown 44,990
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Edited by coop
07/04/2020 2:06 pm
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Apiz13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool setup. Thanks for sharing with me. I see how the white paper over the light really helps keep the glare down. Do the compact flourescent bulbs work best for the lighting? I am going to work on a better setup than what I have now. I appreciate all the help coop and I appreciate you taking the time to write me back
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45747 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might try a LED bulb with the paper like that. The image is an older image from about at least 10 years back. You know your getting old when you've been retired almost 10 years now. Let us know your results. When you get a system down to taking images, and something works better, try to figure out what you did to get the best image. Then keep that process. Sometimes accidents make better images. So stop and figure out what you did, so you can keep doing that.

Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
07/04/2020 2:57 pm
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Clint1970 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine is the same, LED, hard to get good image. I'm going to try paper or something like coop posted.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are using your cellphone camera you can get some good close-ups by holding a loupe in front of the lens.
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Apiz13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahh I haven't tried a loupe under my phone camera. Sounds like that could work in the meantime. Thanks centstation
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 353Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05