Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878-S Uc Morgan Dollar Opinions

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 577Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
59 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  9:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CptSig to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is my latest pick up a UC 1878-S Morgan dollar just looking for opinions on grade/quality its in a capsule Thank you.

Valued Member
United States
411 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smalldawg59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks polished. Not original surfaces.
Valued Member
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, I'd say polished as well. But maybe it could be a reflection on the holder. (probably not). But always best to takes coins out of the capsules if you want opinions on grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7198 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Surfaces too washed out to get a feel of surfaces
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3359 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With these photos it almost looks to good to be true...How about a ballpark of the sales price....
Pillar of the Community
United States
1445 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I second the 'Polished' camp
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5362 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  01:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaned and/or polished. Hope you didn't pay an "Unc" price for it!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8990 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
based on these photos, I have to agree the others. UNC details Polished. Since this is such a common date there really is no collector value other than the silver content. maybe it looks different in hand. i'd remove it from its locker and take a couple more photos to confirm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49519 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me, these pics are inadequate to grade from.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4109 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Difficult to grade from these pictures, but in my experience most coins auctioned like this are AU examples, possibly cleaned, that are photographed in lighting that masks flaws.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1501 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU Details, Cleaned (polished).

The capsule makes it difficult to see the surface details. The obverse picture is too small to see the details. The reverse picture, however, can be enhanced to reveal some of the details. I dropped the lighting and contrast and eliminated color from the reverse photo. That allowed enlargement to see the surface details.

The surface is far too clean, and the two evident gouges appear to have been smoothed out. There is a definite loss of detail on the eagle's head, talons, and right wing, and on the bow and ribbon.

IMHO, this is about an AU-55 coin that has been polished heavily. Seeing photos of the coin outside the capsule might change this opinion, but that's what I'm seeing right now.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2205 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Polished
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better photos with more lighting needed to get a grade.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CptSig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sorry for pictures in capsule still fairly new at taking coin pictures. Heres some outside of the capsule there are three bag marks on the reverse. if it was polished wouldnt they have tryed to get the bag marks smooth I dunno the pictures inside the capsule totally impacted the way the coin looks. good lesson learned there!

Edited by CptSig
07/06/2020 11:08 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
511 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Big difference. You're pics are clear enough, just need to play around with the lighting a bit. South obverse fields are a bit dark. Taking a stab at these new ones. AU58-MS63.
Edited by Ty2020b
07/06/2020 11:30 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
8990 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS63 with the new photos.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 577Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.96 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05