Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Marks On 1964 Kennedy

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 266Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2521 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  11:07 pm Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have this beautifully toned 1964 Kennedy half dollar. When examining it under magnification I noticed two small parallel marks on Kennedy's neck. Then, on the shield on the eagle, I also noticed a small straight line with three triangles coming off of it.

I'm not sure what to make of it. It looks to be some sort of striking error but I don't know what. I have tried to enlarge the marks but the photos aren't the best.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank You.

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2521 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some better enlarged photos.

Might the marks on the neck be a clashed die from the lines on the shield?

Paul Bulgerin
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  02:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hybrid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Contact marks the reeded edge of another coin hit that one
Pillar of the Community
United States
3212 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  02:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These marks on your half are not mint striking errors, sorry. Both obverse and reverse, those marks are all post mint damage ( PMD). They can be from clashing with other coins, or some other contact with another hard surface, anything is possible and we'll never know the exact reason. There is nothing in the minting process that would account for these marks.
ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34763 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  05:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mark on the shield looks like reeding hit from the edge of another half dollar. On the neck I am not sure but looks like PMD of some sort.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45696 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
99% of the time incuse marks are just coin damage. 1% of the time they are a mint error. Stuff happens to coins. I agree with the observations, that these are all damage to the coin. The heavier the coin, the more it can damage another coin. We see more bag marks on cents. But more reed transfers on the larger coins. So I feel most of these incuse marks are caused after they are struck. More of a handling issue right after the strike at the mint of them falling on each other. So they probably happen more often there. Just my observation.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2521 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  07:46 am  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses.

I did some more research after making the post and did come across one article that seemed to point to the marks being caused by the reeding of another coin hitting this one when it was bagged.

I don't think I've seen this before. You're always learning something new.
Paul Bulgerin
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 266Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05