Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

John F. Kennedy 1974 - More Than A Single Error - Half Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 368Next Topic  

United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  10:22 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add YookiCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, this is my first post, Came across a few interesting errors and tried to take pictures as best as I could the only error I didn't manage to capture is the huge indentation that's on the coin with the dent being on the eagle and It protrudes on the late Presidents side. Any feedback on the proper terms of these errors would be appreciated.

Errors : A missing bit on the R (TRUST) Doubling on part of Dollar, Indentation

Edited by YookiCoin
07/06/2020 10:36 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1243 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would appear that the R in TRUST took a hit after the coin was struck. Given the photos posted, I'm not seeing doubling in DOLLAR.
Edited by ijn1944
07/06/2020 11:15 am
United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YookiCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You ijn1944! The doubling is barely visible I have taken a few more close up shots, or could it be the lighting playing tricks on me?

Pillar of the Community
United States
683 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that's Machine Doubling, very common on Kennedy halves
Valued Member
United States
491 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community. Looks to be Machine Doubling. Sorry.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45636 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is Machine Doubling on the DOLLAR. Not a doubled die. Just machine damage on those devices after the strike. Note all the affected areas are:
1. On the outside of the devices.
2. The contour is removed from that area.
3. The devices are reduced in size. (On a doubled die, the devices would be enlarged)

DDR and Normal die with Machine Doubling:

Note how on the bottom image, what affect the hub doubling has on these devices? The MD alters the outside edge most of the time on one side of the coin. The DDR show a spread on the centers of the devices, not on the outside edges. Why? The hub misalignment creates the spread between the two locations. But Machine Doubling can also affect a doubled die just the same way that it affects the normal die. Best suggestion, When looking at coins look for the enlargement of the devices. If none os present go onto another coin. It when you start looking at the outside edges, then you find the MD. When see this, move onto another coin. Nothing worth convincing yourself at that point. These will just out at you when you find a doubled die. You know when you see one.

Which one is the DDR? Pretty obvious when you instantly see it. If you looking for a doubled die, then it probably isn't there. It will yell! Hay, look at this! You will know instantly what it is.

Which ones are yelling? Look at the centers of the devices, forget the outside edges.

Also look at the centers of closed devices:

Do you see the center of the devices affected? That should grab your eyes first.
So if you find yourself rechecking a coin over and over, guess what Machine Doubling will catch your eye. But is nothing is spotted as enlarge on a coin, move on to the next one. Don't convince yourself that something is there, when it's not. When you find a doubled die, you will know it without question.

Coop: Don't convince yourself
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YookiCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You! Really appreciate the feedback, will definitely be posting more as I'm finally having the time towards sorting my coin collections.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45636 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, I forgot to hang out the welcome sign:
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
United States
3186 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CFF!

Now that you have mastered the photography end of posting (good job!), please ask more questions as you develop them. You can learn a lot by reading older postings, and if needed, there is a search box at the top left of every CFF page. Again, welcome!

ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45636 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or type in CoopHome on a page. When it turns blue it will take you to a thread with a lot of links of threads and answers I've made to get answers quicker. Thousands of images on this thread links. So click on the blue link and it will take you there. There are three pages of thread links and comments. So Pages 2 & three have the most updated links.
Richard S. Cooper

United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YookiCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a great group of people in this community, Thank You!! You guys are amazing.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 368Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05