Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postage / Mailing Of Numismatic Items In Australia.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 372Next Topic  

Australia
3 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  05:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Waterside to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am completely confused by directions given by Australia Post regarding sending coins and notes. I have explored their site and been to two offices and still am no wiser.

Is someone able to help and advise the best, safest most secure way of posting items within Australia.

Or a better method.

Thank you

Mark
Learn More...
United States
13511 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  07:05 am  Show Profile   Check rggoodie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rggoodie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

We have lots of current members in Australia and you should receive an answer soon.
rggoodie
aka Richard
"catch em doing something right"
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1516 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think you're meant to post coins or notes but everyone does anyway.
Australia
3 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waterside to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not what I was hoping to hear. But what I sort of expected.
Perhaps we should be putting pressure on AP to fix this.
It is crazy that I can legally send and insure a $5000.00 bracelette but cannot send or insure a $10.00 coin.
Learn More...
United States
88777 Posts
Valued Member
Australia
289 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add airgem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are not alone. Even Australia Post Staff get a bit confused. Basically you can send coins and banknotes if the FACE value doesn't exceed $200. Registered Post or a Parcel signature on delivery service are best and allowed. This is within Australia. Overseas is a different matter these days and coins and banknotes are prohibited. But as previously stated 'everyone does it'.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
717 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Due to legal reason they are not liable for any losses that is what they are saying! So that there isn't mail fraud that all, if it does get lost that usually returned to sender or place in lost and found.

NOTE there is no if or but, about sending coins in the mail it is at the discretion of the person at the counter weather they want to enforce the rule or not (if they know about it) just like they can enforce weather you can get your mail if the name on the package and your ID doesn't match.

best way around it just say metal samples, "change my mind" ahahaha?

It is not illegal to send coins or currency via mail or at least no law in our country as of yet. If you are still worry not that I have sent quite a few through mail and they have arrive at destinations (however sometimes a bit of a delay with snail mail (letter postage), three weeks)

Edited by ryurazu
07/07/2020 7:37 pm
Valued Member
Australia
111 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ha... I never considered or looked into this even though I buy coins all the time. I will be some day soon selling (and posting) my excess bulk money so I guess it will affect me then.
Out of curiousity, how does the Mint send out it's silver and gold issues? I assume not via AP as they could not insure it.
Also, I assume this applies to modern legal Aussie tender and not de-monetised items or foreign bills and coins.
Or to get more confusing, are they talking legal tender or legal circulating tender?
Edited by David Graham
07/07/2020 8:15 pm
Australia
3 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waterside to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My undersdtanding is that it applied to all currency domestic or foegien and all coins no matter if they have a denomination or not.

I have received many items from RAM via post, and can only assume that they are prepared to accept the rick.

Be nice to have the issue sorted out.

Any insurance brokers out there looking for a new client base?

Could be profitable.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
516 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Waterside and to the forum!

As airgem has stated, you can send coins and notes within Australia as long as their combined face value is no greater than $200.

If you are concerned that your parcel might go missing then you can register it which covers the contents up to an amount of $100.

If what you are sending is more valuable then this then you have the option of paying for 'Extra Cover' which compensates up to the value of $5000.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
717 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not profitable to be insuring mail that's why it's so low an amount they are willing to do for insurance, permiums are so high (That's from dealing with other items via postage/courier receiving items). Never have I bought from Perth Mint retail but I would assume they would use Auspost due to range within Australia for small items, as for wholesale DHL or what's the other guys (mind blank), definitely don't use fastway. Also anything in larger currency amount it's handle by Armguard*, RBA to banks, or you have your own security (if your a baller) :).

Not that I would think anyone here would be going that high 100k+ when withdrawing from banks. What with 0 rate or possibly negative rate.

Hopefully you aren't looking to hijack some security vans hahaha.
Edited by ryurazu
07/08/2020 9:52 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 372Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05