Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is There A Possibility I Found An Unknown Variety In The 2020 Penny?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 645Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
43 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  06:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jayeroner to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I finally got my microscope I've been dying to post this. So under a scope the shiny new 2020 pennies cast reflections and shadows that look like intense doubling. So it is hard to even decipher if you ha e the real thing or not. Now I have looked close and I am finding examples where along with the crazy shadow reflection stuff going on I am seeing what looks like spreading. Now it looks very similar to every other letter on every other 2020 penny I have( I was lucky enough to get a whole box of 2020's) but I am seeing a difference and also I have found a die crack on the sheild on the reverse that is also present on the ones I think I'm seeing spreading on. So that to me would say I found a variety correct? But now I'm thrown off because I am finding a large number of them, but they all also have the die crack as well. Now the die crack is unmistakable. So if they all have that then they all came from the same die thus making it more likely that it could be a doubled die as well? Please share your insight I'm trying not to get to excited because I can hear it now" classic Machine Doubling". " looks like md to me" " not a doubled die" " it's a spender" But if they all also have the die crack maybe I'm not tripping? I'll post the doubling and the crack from about 5 different coins here, and also some examples of what letters I know are not doubled look like as well under the same scope. Crossing my fingers. Is it possible that a good amount of coins from the same run could end up in one box? It seems likely to me but I'm not very familiar with the process. So the first six pictures are three different coins with the "doubling" and the crack, then I added a couple pictures of"the doubling" from different angles, and then a picture of part of the word states which I know has no doubling , you can see how the shadows mess with your eyes, but you can also see the difference in the pictures of the "doubles dies"...thanks!

United States
43 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayeroner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where is John? I need that expertise!
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  06:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayeroner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh yeah , I am also finding coins in the rolls that don't look the same on the date and other parts that these look doubled on and they also don't have the crack.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34736 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like MD and DDD. Very nice photos, what is your scope make and model? Light will confuse you a lot,it will look like a doubled die when in fact it is light playing a trick on you. You will need to filter your lights.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
07/07/2020 08:14 am
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayeroner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How is it that the coins that look exactly the same and different from any others on the date and Liberty, and definitely more like they is a small spread all have the same die crack that the others don't. I don't see how I can. Have so many coins with the same exact die crack and the same doubling look that none other have and not have something? Scope is an hv view w04 WiFi. I actually got it off wish for cheap. How do I go about filtering light?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2132 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  11:28 am  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not kidding when I say: EVERY single 2020 cent I've searched through looks exactly like this, and I got an entire 20 rolls worth of them. Wretched Machine Doubling really messed up the 2020 cents.

EDIT: That minor die chip just happens when the die becomes a little bit more worn down. It's a die event, so it happens over time as the die gets older. Not worth anything.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump

Variety Want List: http://goccf.com/t/373255
Best DDO Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/375247#3218314
Best LMC DDR Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/378053
Best LSC DDR Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/378041
Edited by SilverCents
07/07/2020 11:29 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34736 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Type light filter in the search box.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1259 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Light filter? Try thin white paper, tracing paper, thin translucent plastic, or the like.
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayeroner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know all of them look like that. But I'm saying that there are certain ones that the doubling looks a little different , and it looks a little different in the same way on these coins only, and these coins only also have the same die crack that the others do not. Here is a picture that I believe shows the notching I see in the 2 that once again I can only see on the coins that have the die crack on the reverse
Pillar of the Community
United States
1795 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i suppose a simple answer is - of course it is possible that you have (can) find a new undlisted variety. your coin in the pictures does NOT appear to be anything abnormal..

just my opinion...i am not an expert...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45654 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Put the diffuser between the light and scope. (Like a curtain) So that the lights glare is reduced as it hits the coin. Not between the scope and the coin. Mostly just a Machine Doubling example on your coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
3200 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know you don't want to hear this, but since you asked for our opinions, here's mine: very classic Machine Doubling and lots of irritating unmovable unsightly rinse spots. I'm afraid a premium cannot be assigned to this cent. I won't say, "a spender" but I'm thinking it really hard.

Working with new cents is really really difficult, I know from experience. Keep searching and think positive!

ša va bien aller
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayeroner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't feel as if I have an amazing cent in any one of these cents or that if it is a DDO it's even a good one . I'm just trying to wrap my head around how this works. I understand it looks like md I feel the same way. But as I'm looking through all these 2020's and seeing what we all are seeing I began to notice that some examples were looking exactly the same while all the others still looks like doubling even though they were shadows and light tricks. So it got me thinking and I put the ones that look the same aside, and on those coins( there are a good amount so far, maybe 10 plus) when I looked real close I see what seems to be notching and a small spread. And it is exactly the same in every one of these coins and in none of the others. Then I remembered about die marks and began looking. Now it seems like a huge coincidence that the same coins that ha e this anomaly that has me wondering also have the same die crack on the other side of the coin, and the rest of the 2020's that don't look exactly the same and I can't find anything that looks like notching or spread do not have this die crack. That every coin I find with this die crack also has the characteristics that look to me like spreading and notching. Can any one address that please? And that last picture where the arrow is pointing to the tip of the two does not look like Notching that you would see in a real doubles die? Even when there are more coins exhibiting the same look and only those coins have the same die crack in the same location?
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayeroner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I mean it's not reflection on the end of that two, it physically has a notch in it, as do all the other that exhibit the die crack on the reverse and none of the ones that don't exhibit the die crack do not have the notch look
Pillar of the Community
United States
3200 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know the frustration you are experiencing. I went through the same issues with two boxes of 2019 cents. If you're interested in reading about my venture, search in the upper left corner search box. And I know SilverCents as gone through a box of new cents as well. The light/glare can really play with your mind after seeing coin after coin of these super shiny discs. I thought I had some great finds but after showing them here, I realised I was chasing light and shadows and GLARE and in total frustration, I returned most of them back to the bank (I kept 10 rolls for future use). I wish I had some of the answers you seek... it sounds like you're on to some good finds. I admire your steadfastness and desire for answers! Carry on!

ša va bien aller
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mmansell45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The crack on shield is also on the 2018 and 2019 also. Same die
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 645Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05