Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1967 Lincoln Cent With Reverse Impression Of 1968 Lincoln Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 316Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  2:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DoubleStruckE3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

My dad had this in his collection and just rediscovered it today. Has anyone seen a penny with this sort of double impression on the obverse? The reverse side is normal. In case it is not obvious in the photo, the ghost of Lincoln's head, 1968, Liberty, and In God We trust appears mirrored atop the 1967 strike. While the 1967 original has the relief positive, the 1968 inverses details are indented.

I can't imagine that this was done during the minting process, or if so it would be a very rare item indeed. Nevertheless, it is a unique coin the likes of which I have not seen before.

Wondering if anyone might have any insights or information.

Many thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
890 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1268 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Classic vise or hammer/mallet job--two coins mushed together, in this case two obverses. Giveaway is the reversed letters and numbers.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoubleStruckE3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both. I am not a collector and so apologies for such a basic question. Your answers are much appreciated. Though worthless (well, 1 cent), it is still pretty cool... ;-)
Learn More...
United States
88857 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
890 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am not a collector and so apologies for such a basic question.

It's alright, everyone of us were there once.

Quote:
Though worthless (well, 1 cent), it is still pretty cool... ;-)

I haven't found one yet, but if I did, I would keep it for educational purposes.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49632 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a vise job.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45724 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the devices are all mirrored. Transferred from another coin. If it were a mint error of being double struck the devices on both strike would be raised and positive, not mirrored:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
3222 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree. Vice job, PMD.

to the CCF!

ça va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16795 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am not a collector and so apologies for such a basic question.

Actually, I'm impressed. In your OP you state that you can't imagine that it could happen in the minting process. That right there put you WAY ahead of the typical person who come here with one of these and INSISTS that it has to be a rare mint error. (often continuing to do so after being told that it isn't and WHY it isn't)
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 316Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05