Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Modern: 2004 Discovering The Legacy Of Lewis And Clark

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 800Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  6:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Presented here is an interesting, inexpensive and worthwhile (IMO) supplement to a collection of modern US commemorative coins that includes the 2004 silver dollar commemorating the bicentennial of the Lewis and Clark expedition -- it's a commemorative Lewis and Clark Trail map and promotional brochure prepared by the Lewis and Clark Interagency Partnership ("Partnership").

To get everyone on the same page, here are obverse and reverse images of the L&C silver dollar:

Obverse

Reverse

If you'd like to read more about the 2004 silver dollar, you can view a previous post of mine here: Lewis and Clark Coinage & Currency Set.

The Partnership was an agreement between two dozen federal departments and agencies that came together to commemorate the L&C Bicentennial. The Partnership's lead effort was Corps of Discovery II: 200 Years to the Future, an interagency traveling exhibit that toured the country via a tractor trailer with "museum-quality interpretive exhibits." The exhibit also included the Tent of Many Voices, a portable space intended to showcase "live demonstrations, lectures, cultural presentations and audiovisual showings" that were "made in partnership with [American] Indian tribes, various federal agencies, state and local governments, federal agencies and the private sector." [Source: US Department of the Interior press release regarding the exhibit's launch, January 13, 2003.]

The Discovering the Legacy of Lewis and Clark map and brochure was another of the Partnership's main projects. On one side of the fold-out piece is a detailed map of the Lewis and Clark Trail that highlights many of the historical landmarks, monuments, museums and interpretive centers along its path. On the other side of the map is found state-by-state descriptions of places to visit to learn more about Lewis and Clark, their expedition and members of the Corps. IMO, the Partnership did a very good job with the map/brochure. It is colorful, well-designed and printed on high-quality glossy stock.

As a member of the Partnership, the US Mint sent the map to customers on its mailing list beginning in September 2003; it was sent in the same package as the Mint's end-of-the-year Annual Catalog for 2003. The map was delivered to customers ahead of the availability of the 2004 L&C commemorative silver dollar program, but it likely planted a seed with some otherwise uninterested customers that flowered when the L&C dollar coin did become available on May 12, 2004.

Obviously, the map/brochure is not a coin, nor did it hold one of the coins, and so it isn't for every collector. It does, however, provide some additional historical background for the 2004 L&C commemorative silver dollar and has a honest connection to the US Mint. For collectors who like a bit of paper ephemera to go along with their US commemorative coins, I believe the Discovering the Legacy of Lewis and Clark map and brochure makes for a terrific collection supplement.

Front Panel of Brochure

Map Side of Brochure with L&C Trail Shown

Back Panel of Brochure with Treasury Department/US Mint Listed

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9658 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. Never saw this before. One of the few modern US commemoratives I still don't have that interest me.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
1323 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating! Thanks for the write-up, @commems! I always pick up those types of maps at rest stops. They're fun references to have in case I'm looking for trip ideas.

On a side note, I tried out the link on the last photo, but unsurprisingly, it's not active anymore after 17 years.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4584 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  01:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I meant to mention in my original post...

Back in 2005, the Mint stated it had printed and distributed 2.5 million copies of the map in 2003 as part of its initial participation in the Lewis and Clark Expedition Bicentennial celebrations. That's a lot of maps!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the Mint stated it had printed and distributed 2.5 million copies of the map... That's a lot of maps!
Indeed!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1244 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2020  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got this coin years ago as a present. No clue why and not sure what to do with it. It is sitting in a US Mint box next to the Edison Commem.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2020  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@NumisEd: From your comments here about the L&C dollar, and those about your Edison silver dollar in the other thread, it appears that you wouldn't miss them if they weren't part of your collection. Maybe it would make sense to sell both of the coins and use the proceeds to purchase one or more coins of more interest? Good luck with whatever you decide!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1244 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2020  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@NumisEd: From your comments here about the L&C dollar, and those about your Edison silver dollar in the other thread, it appears that you wouldn't miss them if they weren't part of your collection. Maybe it would make sense to sell both of the coins and use the proceeds to purchase one or more coins of more interest? Good luck with whatever you decide!

I checked eBay prices and it seems they don't sell for much. It seems it is not worth the hassle.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2020  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In less than a month you will qualify for selling on CFF. Nothing to lose (no fees) by offering them up.

However, you mentioned they were a present. Depending on the giver, they may actually hold some sentimental value.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1244 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2020  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No sentimental value for me. I'm just in a cleaning mood.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 800Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05