Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878 P Morgan Dollar Opinions Please ...... #262

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 271Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
423 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  12:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looks like two different coins, but it is the same coin obverse and reverse. I'm guessing that this Morgan had one side exposed to something and the other side not.

So how do you judge this Morgan?

Edited by KauaiHawaiiGuy
07/11/2020 3:27 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49632 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-53, rim issue of some concern.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
443 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to be some rim damage at 10 o clock on the obverse. A fair few scratches and can't see any lustre remaining really. I think the obverse is AU50.
The reverse is XF45 to me. So the net grade is either XF45 or AU50, I'm leaning towards XF45, but only slightly.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2521 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would put it at about AU-50 with more details on the reverse than the obverse.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
9319 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU details. The obverse looks like it has been messed with.
1883-O Nut
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you tested this one to see if it's silver? Weight? All the details seem too soft.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49632 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you're right about the obverse - the surface texture is entirely different.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't like the color as well.
Edited by IndianGoldEagle
07/11/2020 1:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2662 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU Details obverse cleaned
Valued Member
United States
423 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Have you tested this one to see if it's silver? Weight? All the details seem too soft.

Completely genuine ...... I'm sort of an expert on fake Morgans. Passes magnet test,passes thickness test, passes ring test, and 26.70 grams.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2228 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mount removed
Valued Member
United States
423 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Mount removed

That's a good observation and just might explain the glaring differences between obverse and reverse. If it was taken out of a brooch or belt buckle or something similar, the front definitely would wear while the back might tarnish with little wear.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9012 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF details
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4115 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU details, obverse polished and retoned.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If genuine, then the surface has definitely been messed with. AU details, with poor eye appeal.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 271Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05