Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1998 LMC With Interesting Die Chip

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 606Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  12:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Crh1993 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
found this one in my dad's jar of pennies too. Thought it was pretty cool placement.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46202 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've not seen that one before. You might want to submit the images to Wexler to see what he thinks. IT would be good to incluse images on the left half and the right half when you send these to John on an email. That will help him see if there is something really going on. Also include a shot of the whole coin with the areas above and below the building. That will also be great images for him to see.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
915 Posts
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crh1993 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh wow! I just figured it was something simple. I'll get some more pictures of the coin when I get back home this evening. I had to leave the computer before I could finish editing the more full photos down to the right file size. There were a few other die chips on the reverse too so I'll get good pics of them for you all to see
Pillar of the Community
United States
1608 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could give a whole new meaning to a Lincoln cent 'spike head'.
Pillar of the Community
United States
915 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
672 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add josephm99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might want to get Mike Diamond in on this one.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35570 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a well placed die gouge or even a plating issue.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1623 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be a nice find.
There is a verticle line in bay 4 as well, but not as pronounced.

Clear images are essential.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1526 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add QuarterHoarder72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting! I'll be watching this thread to see what happens.
What you can buy for a dollar now days.....is absolute non cents!
Best Cherrypicks/finds:
1909 LWC V.D.B FS-1101
http://goccf.com/t/357327
1956-D LWC Dropped Letter
http://goccf.com/t/372520
Pillar of the Community
United States
4242 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. Could be a plating bubble of some sort, maybe something better.....a DDR perhaps?

-CH27
Collector of Varieties and Errors of all kinds.

Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crh1993 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here are the promised pics! the obverse doesn't have anything special going on so I didn't add any of it.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1340 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice Die Crack with Feeder Finger marks on the top Congrats on your find.
Edited by Daves Errors
07/11/2020 4:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3502 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in the John1 camp...like to read what Mike D thinks...
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crh1993 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update: I sent an email to John Wexler with all the pictures and a few that showed more of the coin as a whole. The feeder fingers marks actually go all the way from the southwest to northeast area of the coin, thank you for the info and link for that Daves Errors, I hadn't heard of that type of mint error yet so it was a great learning experience. I wasn't able to find a way to contact Mike Diamond though. I Googled his name and found his magazine but could not find an email to contact him with the pictures of the coins. Is there a certain website I should go to? Thank you all for the help with this coin too, it has been really exciting thinking about having found something potentially new!
Pillar of the Community
United States
672 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add josephm99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mike Diamond is a member on this forum. You should be able to PM him.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 606Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05