Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1885-CC Morgan Dollar - Fake Or Genuine?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 647Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United Kingdom
61 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  10:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RockyRock to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Guys, Here is a 1885-CC I picked up lately and the coin is definitely genuine 1885 Morgan but not sure if it is an added mint mark forgery. These are the pictures I got from the seller for now... Please let me know your thoughts on this coin and also the possible grade if you think it is a genuine 1885- CC Morgan. Thanks in advance!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks Fake to me.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49451 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, fake. The lower ribbon design above the MM is wrong to my eye.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blind Squirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but it has too many issues.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5350 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need better pictures.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2192 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photos just not clear enough
Pillar of the Community
United States
9360 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The photos are not good but the coin looks worse.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
8981 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
agree. MM does not look correct
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1497 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with @westernsky, the photos are not clear enough to be sure. Would you be willing to post clear close-up photos of:
the date
the mint mark
the edge of the coin next to the "DOL" of DOLLAR

Thanks!
Valued Member
United States
411 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smalldawg59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the reverse rim looks to be split somehow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4097 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  07:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say genuine, but altered surfaces. Probably polished.
Edited by fenton
07/15/2020 07:38 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
9310 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OP - what makes you say the coin is definitely genuine? To me it appears to be a Chinese forgery. Keep in mind most 85 CC Morgans were stored in bags until the 1960's and for the most part were quite baggy. This coin does not have any sign of being stored with nearly no marks or rub on the high points. If genuine it would be MS66 to MS67 maybe even approaching 68. Quite a remarkable example to be sitting raw in a dealer's inventory. Too good to be true I say.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5350 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Opinions here seem to be all over the map. We can discuss this coin till the cows come in but we will still be scratching our heads.

I think it needs to be sent in for 3rd party grading. ANACS would be best for a quick and economical evaluation.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
61 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RockyRock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Friends, thanks for all the inputs. I really appreciate it. Got the coin in hand today and this is definitely a wonderfully made fake. Only thing that gave it away was the thickness of the coin which did not look right to me and Upon comparison with geniune morgans I found that to be a tad thicker. Believe me, this coin will fool many as the weight was spot on and the obverse was a genuine semi proflike 1885. This possibly could be a perfect infusion of two different geniune coins. I still believe this coin has a 5% chance to be genuine but does not worth a 310$ gamble so packed and ready to go back to the seller. Thanks again for all your inputs.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5350 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wise decision. When in doubt, don't!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49451 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With respect, this coin has a 0% chance of being genuine. It is a straight-out fake, with many markers.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 647Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05