Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2015 Lincoln Shield Cent Possible DDO?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 387Next Topic  
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  2:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Spacegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello again all. I decided I was going to try and get pictures and finally post some of my finds over the last few months. I appreciate your input on the following coin: 2015 Lincoln Shield Cent. It's REALLY DIFFICULT to take great pictures, but we will see how these look! IN PERSON, this is not like any MD I have seen. Additionally, oftentimes with the newer coins, the plating is so lousy, it can be really hard to tell WHAT you are looking at - especially when you (me!) are new to the details of all this.
On this coin, it is VERY clear that the Liberty and the date is doubled. At least to me it is! It also shows somewhat on the IGWT Motto. Additionally, the coin appears slightly "indented" (not sure that is an accurate description) like the die(s) struck particularly hard and "pulled" the flat surface of the coin down towards the devices in places.

Anyway - here it is...I hope! (I've been trying to get CU's of the lettering)

Pillar of the Community
United States
4120 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WDDO-014?

https://www.doubleddie.com/1542214.html

Nice find!

-CH27
"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent" -Carl Sandburg

Collector of Varieties and Errors of all kinds

United States
42 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spacegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
868 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need sharper and closer pics to tell precisely.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45633 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The angle of the lighting is too low. Note how it reflects off the edges of the devices. It needs to be more over head and a single bulb light. Thus the glare hides from us what you are seeing.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spacegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gosh Coop...I know! But it's hard enough for me to hold my loupe in front of the lens of my phone on zoom and shoot! After seeing some pics when a USB Microscope is used, I guess that is the best solution. I tried and tried with this coin and I can't disagree, but that being said I believe you would concur if you saw it in person. Thanks for your response.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34690 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a DDO,but really need better photos. How about trying a clip on magnifier for your phone.If that does not work out,then a usb scope.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spacegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did not know there was such a thing as a clip on magnifier John! Lol. And the USB microscope is a possibility I just have not priced them and money is tight lately! But I will look into it. And share would be better than trying to spend a whole lot of time like I do to get photographs that are not good enough. Thank you
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45633 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The third image posted is a better setup. We can at least see what is really there. But I'm still not convinced yet for a DDO. It is not WDDO-014. Note all the other devices are affected by being enlarged.

You coin doesn't look like that. Note the over inflated tube like you would see like on a bicycle? You coin is not like that.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
United States
4120 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On this one Coop I must disagree, at least with what pictures are provided. Looking at TRUST, LIBERTY and the date I can see the "inflation" you mention. Also how distorted TRUST looks. From what I can see on these images it looks like WDDO-014 to me.

-CH27
"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent" -Carl Sandburg

Collector of Varieties and Errors of all kinds

Pillar of the Community
United States
1477 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree it is a DDO but the glare is making it difficult to confirm which one. Congratulations.

As to the clip-on magnifier (macro lens), that is what I currently use. Online or BestBuy is where I got mine as a kit for about $45. You don't need all the fancy lenses, tripods or other stuff. Just the Macro lens.
I have a couple of thin boxes I set the camera on to steady it and believe natural light brings out the best images. You will also need some fairly thin (cardboard maybe?) to adjust the height of the coin to get it into focus using the macro lens. Unless you have an adjustable stand for your camera. Unfortunately I only have time at night to take images so sometimes they still don't image well.
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  07:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spacegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much Pete. I will look into it. As a side note I do usually take all my pics outside on my covered patio, so natural light is the norm. But it is still difficult. When you think about how tiny the letters are...not to mention the flaws, it's a miracle at times to get them at all! Thanks again.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45633 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used my color inverter and it removed the glare from the devices area:

Now it can be seen.

It been 10 days since I hit 45K, and I've posted over 250 times since then.
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
07/15/2020 12:58 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2098 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  01:02 am  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep I've been watching this post and from those first couple of images, made me realize it was a DDO. The 0 in 2015 had the inflated look to it.

Jeez Coop, won't take ya long to hit 50k.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump

Variety Want List: http://goccf.com/t/373255
Best DDO Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/375247#3218314
Best LMC DDR Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/378053
Best LSC DDR Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/378041
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spacegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's so cool! Thanks.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 387Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05