Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

When To Remove Coins From A Mint Set?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 362Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
99 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  4:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I saw this pic of a Singapore Mint set for sale. A classic case of damage from clorine leaking from the PVC plastic. People say keep the coins in the sets as the coins are devalued when removed from the set but when I see pics like this I wonder if that's the best option. Am wondering what my fellowexperienced collectors do and what their advice is.
Pics like this give me the gitters.
Edited by David Graham
07/12/2020 4:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3597 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In that condition, I think the coins are almost worthless. SO if they can be cleaned up and sold as mint state, yes, I think this is a good example where you take apart the set.

It is the dioctylphthalate (plasticizer) that exudes from the PVC, I think. Not chlorine which is chemically bound to the plastic.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2192 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy these sets all the time. The coins go right into acetone. But I don't think I ever got a set in that bad of shape
Learn More...
Australia
13363 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
People say keep the coins in the sets as the coins are devalued when removed from the set...

These people are almost always wrong. It may seem strange, even perverse, but coins from mint sets are usually worth more when broken up and sold individually, than when sold as a set. There are coin dealers and eBayers out there that make a significant portion of their profits from doing exactly this. A mint set might be worth $10 (in good condition), but the individual coins in the set might be sellable for $20 to $30, total. The same goes for collector-assembled date sets of circulation coins. A set that is sold will almost never be on-sold as an intact set, it is more valuable when broken up.

What is true under normal circumstances is especially true for sets with damaged housing. Plasticizer-laced sets such as this are a good example. That set case is worth negative value - anyone making an offer for it will be asking you to pay them to take that ugly thing off your hands. It has already damaged the coins as much as it is capable of doing so, but it has been itself ruined in the process. Take the coins out, and throw the case in the bin with no regrets.

Quote:
But I don't think I ever got a set in that bad of shape

Then count yourself lucky that you live in a relatively cool, dry part of the world. I'm from Queensland, Australia, where the climate is similar to Florida, only even hotter and wetter in parts. Around here, someone buying coins and storing them in non-climate-controlled conditions for a few decades will probably have their coins in "bad cases" ending up looking much like this.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3539 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coins are nearly worthless covered in green slime. This kind of green slime comes off very well in acetone, in my experience.
Valued Member
Australia
99 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

In that condition, I think the coins are almost worthless.

The coins are nearly worthless covered in green slime.

Seller wants $20 for them.

What contition are the coins left once the slime is removed?

And as fellow queenslander with the issue of heat and humudity.

Thanks for the feedbak.
Learn More...
Australia
13363 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What contition are the coins left once the slime is removed?

The "green slime" is a chemical reaction between the acidic plasticizer goo and the metal in the coin. The goo will come off in acetone, but the coins will no longer be technically Uncirculated. The acid will likely have etched away at the metal underneath the goo. Whether this will be noticeable by eye or not, depends on the particulars of the coin (design relief, where the high points are, etc). If they were proof coins, the problem would be worse as the acidic etching severely disrupts mirrored surfaces. From experience, Singapore Mint coins are rather matte in appearance so the damage may not be too visible. The 1 cent coin will be heavily stained and probably be a write-off.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
4781 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The coins are nearly worthless covered in green slime. This kind of green slime comes off very well in acetone, in my experience.

Acetone will clean off the slime.
The problem is, how far has the corrosion eaten in the surface of the coins.
You may clean it only to find pitting.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1107 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anything like that is liberated from its packaging for me - I take out the coins and let them settle for a day in fresh air - then add them to new mylar flips.

Heaps of 1960s and 1970s cheaper grade (Uncirculated etc) were put in cheap PVC or acetone wrappers. Even worse is this set has no closed pockets meaning the coins were always exposed to the air.

Plus they are cupronickel and thus mostly copper - so verdigris has taken hold. Plus its Singapore - so even more humid and hot. Those coins are beyond selvedge and good for selling to scrap metal only sadly.

It is tragic to see that.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
Australia
99 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I suspect there will be significant tarnishing when the green goo is removed. Besides, I can pick up similar sets for the same price (or cheaper) that don't come with the green goo. I will definitely be removing coins from sets like these and placing them in coin friendy storage.
Edited by David Graham
07/12/2020 10:50 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 362Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05