Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wholesale Source For Shipwreck Coins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 236Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
360 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  4:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mmerc20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was wondering where do all the big coin websites get their shipwreck/admiral gardner/Dutch VOC coins from? I would assume there is a wholesale source somewhere. I was looking to buy a large lot but don't know where I could find them at an uninflated price. I would assume they get their Roman coins pretty cheap in bulk and I would be interested in the same thing but buying at retail price is not an option.

Thanks!

Mike
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17182 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shipwreck sites in Western Australia have all been administered by government agencies such as museums.
They control what is taken from shipwrecks.
It is through their agency that items such as coins find their way on to the commercial numismatic market, and the proceeds from these sales help to fund the costs incurred on diving on the wrecks.

Basically, the source for the shipwreck coins are the museums. That certainly applies to Dutch coins that are found on shipwrecks that lie off Australian coastlines.

The X CASH and XX CASH from the Admiral Gardner shipwreck located on the Goodwin Sands in U.K. waters are found in large numbers on the international numismatic market. I have a few examples of each denomination. They originated from an entirely different commercial source, after being recovered from this shipwreck. A Google search should provide much more information

Identifiable Roman coins recovered from shipwreck are rare, and almost all are too heavily corroded in a sea water environment to have any real numismatic value. Most ancient coins are recovered from ground burial anyway, not from shipwrecks.

Not much chance for 'johnny come lately' numismatic collectors such as myself, to be able to buy shipwreck coins in bulk directly off shipwreck diving companies.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1065 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In a more general vein, "you gotta know somebody" in the business. If you're not a player (i.e. a big spender retailer) you don't have access to wholesale deals, be it coins or anything else.
Edited by jgenn
07/16/2020 12:00 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3625 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Buy low, sell high."

Pretty easy formula. Except for that "Buy low" part
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 236Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05