Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stupid Question About Greatcollections

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 270Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  4:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Suomi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I am looking to sell with GreatCollections, and I just want to ask a stupid question before I ship my coins off.

Do I simply fill out the consignment form, package the coins up, and ship them off? Or do I have to notify GC that I am sending a package to them before-hand? Thanks for your help and apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1773 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just pack and send, no need to inform them. You should get an email from them within a day or two after delivery tracking shows it's been delivered.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Suomi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! And I should send it via USPS correct?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1773 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Their instructions for new sellers is at https://www.greatcollections.com/se...instructions . Actually, they do have a note there to contact them so they can "review and confirm they are suitable for our Grade & Auction program". I didn't do that -- all of my submissions have been PCGS certified and similar to what they generally have listed, so I was reasonably confident. I did inquire on a later submission if they would sell a run of Franklin PR66 as a set, and they told me either way was okay. They're very easy to deal with. (I chose to sell as a set, for convenience.)

To your question, I use USPS/insured. The GC link above has good directions for how to pack securely. (If you send by registered mail, you have to use paper tape, so follow USPS regulations as well, depending on how you ship.) All of that is for your own protection -- they can't be responsible for anything that happens before they get your submission.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3437 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think Ian posts here, but he is active on other coin boards. I've met him at a couple of coin shows, he's a very nice person and knowledgable. Raeleen too. I haven't met the new member of the team (something about no big coin shows).

Ian is incredibly responsive to email. I messaged him one Friday evening around 10 pm that something was blowing up on a board. By the time I woke up the next morning, he had jumped into the thread, apologized, and solved the issue for the customer.

Make sure you send your package registered and appropriately insured. It will take longer but you will be much more comfortable (and regular mail - although USPS will take your money - can't insure coins).
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Great Collections Representative
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add greatcollections to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is definitely not a stupid question!

There's no need to notify us before you ship us a consignment of certified coins. For new consignors of raw/uncertified coins, we do ask for a list of the coins/images e-mailed to info@greatcollections.com so we can ensure they are something we can handle.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-442-6467 or e-mail info@greatcollections.com. We're here to help.

- Ian
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 270Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05