Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1861-O Seated Liberty Half Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 257Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  11:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello! I am curious about your opinions on the grade of this coin. I am guessing AU (although it's not very lustrous), but again, I know that many of you are much more experienced than I am in this. Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49521 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say not less than AU-58 sharpness. What's going on at the left (facing) elbow area?
Pillar of the Community
United States
511 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, but hard to tell if surfaces are original with the lighting in these pics. Unfortunate fingerprint on the reverse there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8990 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the yellow lighting is not helping. surface preservation cannot be accurately determined. the coin appears to be high AU. AU58

whats little odd are the slanted denticles from 10 o-clock to 12 on the obverse. maybe just angle of the photo
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys! Unfortunately I can not take better photos at the moment because I submitted this coin to PCGS a month ago. I am very eager for the results! I always wonder if the coin was dipped (would that render this "AU Details?" or could it still grade properly?), but I was assured that many 1859, 1860, and 1861 O halves were found in vaults--without wear and without luster or toning--just boring white surfaces.

I am not sure what the dark spot is on near the elbow on the left side--I hope it won't affect grading!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5363 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the low quality pictures, I can only guess it's somewhere between AU50 and MS62.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2208 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Adam looks like you joined the CCF 10 years ago. As you move forward into sending coins to get graded. Please post pics here first. The folks around here are very knowledgeable. And the cost of grading is not cheap
That said I dont like whats going on behind her arm
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Keith! To be honest, I had forgotten about this forum until recently. A local (reputable) dealer looked at some of my coins and told me his opinions on which ones I should submit, which I followed--this being said, I know there is tremendous experience here and it is sometimes impossible to really predict what PCGS will do. In the future I will post here before I submit anything. I appreciate your time. Thanks again.
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And Keith, what do you think is going on under her arm? Is it some kind of environmental damage?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5363 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the blemish that's below the arm my guess is it's a planchet flaw of some sort.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2020  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks high AU at least to me.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 257Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05