Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? - With Banknotes! Second Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 474 / Views: 14,067Next Topic
Page: of 32
Valued Member
Germany
67 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Caietan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would that be the dragon from Wagner's Siegfried, guarding the Rheingold?

@erafjel
Indeed you are right and I was wrong. I did a Google search and found this article https://www.schlossmuseum.de/sammlu...e-erzaehlen/ where it says that the dragon on the reverse indeed represents Fafner, the dragon from the Nibelungen saga.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
536 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool! I didn't know that, it just came to my mind when I saw that dragon guarding a pot of treasures, that it could be taken from the popular Nibelungen Ring.
Valued Member
Canada
400 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canada S628a 1903 20 Dollars

Canadian Charter Banknote from the Bank of Nova Scotia. Also known as the Dory Note because the type of fishing boat.

The Scotia Bank still exists though it does not issue banknotes any more. It is Canada's most international bank with branches in the Caribbean and South America.

Valued Member
Germany
67 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Caietan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bolivia, 1 Boliviano, P-92a.1

Valued Member
Canada
400 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Caietan. That's a very rare Bolivia note. When did you buy it?
Valued Member
Germany
67 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Caietan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's a very rare Bolivia note. When did you buy it?

@ShareBear It was one of my first more expensive notes.
I bought when I started collecting in the mid 90's.
I paid 52 DM (about 32 US$)for it, together with the 50 Centavos (with error "Fiscal di Gobeerno") which did cost 43 DM (~ 26 US$)
95 DM was a lot of money then, but the banknotes fascinated me, and I don't think that I would get them today for that price.
Valued Member
Germany
67 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Caietan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nobody with a 1901 note?
My next years are 1900 and 1899.
Valued Member
Canada
400 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ceylon C4801 1901 50 Cents

Here is a POW note from the Boer War. Also a couple of related items from the same POW camp.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1304 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool note, @ShareBear! I really like the accompanying ephemera!
Valued Member
Canada
400 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, CollegeBarbers. I got the banknote a few years ago but I have been unable to find any more from the series. So I decided to add a couple of related items this year.
Valued Member
Germany
67 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Caietan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is a POW note from the Boer War. Also a couple of related items from the same POW camp.

What a phantastic document of history!
Valued Member
Canada
400 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Caietan. I really liked the coloration among the items.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1159 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What a phantastic document of history!

from the Boer War of all things.

But I was very impressed by the $20 "Dory" note from the Bank of Nova Scotia. I have seldom seen these!
Valued Member
Germany
67 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Caietan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Germany, German States, 100 Mark, 1.1.1900, hand written control signature.
Funny: the two times in a strange way repeated penal code on the back.

Edited by Caietan
12/04/2020 08:21 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1304 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! We made it to the 19th century!
Page: of 32 Previous TopicReplies: 474 / Views: 14,067Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05