Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Shoe Box Full Of German Bank Notes

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 958Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2721 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  2:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked this up from an auction house in Germany. (Online of course). Got it fairly inexpensive for the quantity of notes pictured. Hoping for some higher grade notes mixed in and I have no idea what else is there other than what's pictured. Now I just wait for my invoice and cost of shipping!

Will be glad once it shows up. Might be quite a while before I get it in hand because of shipping delays.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
35570 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oooo....
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2097 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arianzo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting to buy like that without knowing what's inside

However, I guess shipping fees and taxes may be expensive for that quantity of bank notes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2721 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I fully expect it to be heavy with what's pictured on top, but the mystery is half the fun. I can piece out a lot of these in smaller lots.

I am a bit scared to see the shipping and tax..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1060 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Got it fairly inexpensive for the quantity of notes pictured

-How many notes did they say were in the box? Should be fun going through it all when it arrives. Happy sorting!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2721 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Didn't give an exact number, but listing mentioned "shoebox filled" and "extensive".
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17289 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had a shoebox of German inflation Notes given to me in my early high school days back in the 1960's.
Perhaps 2,000 notes in the box.

I was selling crisp flat uncirculated condition 10,000 Mark notes for 25 cents each, (approx 2020 $ values).
Sold maybe 150 notes at that price.
That is, until the school administration caught up with me, and shut my little enterprise down!

I gave the rest of them back to the original owner.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1213 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2020  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, should be a fun search! Let us know the results.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2721 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2020  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll try to remember to post updates when it arrives. I have a feeling it'll be a while until it shows up.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
683 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2020  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks exciting.

Are the paper wrappers around the notes official bank issue, or something added privately later? They might have collection or historical value.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1860 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2020  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How exciting!

My experience of German local auctions is that small objects (for example: watches, jewellery, coins, banknotes) are often in sealed bags or translucent containers. Lots don't have a detailed description. You can't see exactly what's there, just get an idea. You can't open the bag or the box, just got to take a chance - much like the 'Storage Wars' programmes.

You can get burned or do really well.

It seems a strange way of selling to me but it's just a different custom.

The bands/wrappers might be official - if they are, they'll have the bank name or logo printed or impressed.
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Edited by Pertinax
07/26/2020 6:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2721 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2020  06:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've not seen these types of bands before on German bundles, so not sure. They may be something someone did just to bundle up similar notes. However, they look old.

Still waiting on my invoice so I can pay. Still curious to know how much shipping will be to the United States!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2721 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2020  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Monday morning here, afternoon in Germany. Just got the invoice. Looks like shipping is 42 EUR! I figured it would be a bit pricey. Hopefully it will get here alright as the language barrier back and forth has been a challenge with the auction house. Fingers crossed!
Learn More...
United States
90152 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2721 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I have tracking now, so that's a success. It's in Rodgau, Germany at an export facility.
Learn More...
United States
90152 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 958Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05